hot light flashing 01 SXR 700

Jumpmaster

Hi guys, I pulled the engine on my '01 SXR 700 to inspect the water pump impeller. the splines do look a bit rounded but they are still there. I was hoping to just install a new impeller and get some more miles out of it as it's running great with 9500 miles, just the last couple rides the hot light has started coming on intermittently. after reading some posts here i thought maybe i could get it fixed reasonably cheap but I'm generally not the type of guy to half *** a job to get out cheap. I know with this mileage and symptoms i should really split the case and replace the water pump drive shaft and at least inspect the brass gear. Given this amount of mileage am I just hoping for too much trying to get it out of it with just a new impeller? What should I expect to pay to have the brass gear replaced if i do have to bite the bullet and go that route just to be sure? Like I said it's been running fantastic but as long as i have the engine out and if it's torn down I figure I'll at least put some new piston rings in it and obviously I'll need new gaskets and maybe crank seals as long as it's apart...all this adds up pretty quick. I should mention the sled is totally stock. no head gasket mod, stock clutching and jetting, fires up first pull warm or cold, idles great....

On another note, when i do reinstall the engine, I'm wondering about getting the clutches realigned. is there a certain measurement or tool i need to get the engine set in there right? everything was working great clutch/ belt wise before I pulled the engine. I'd sure like things to work just as well when it goes back in.

and another thing, i just read something here about priming the oil pump. will i need to do that? if so how do i go about it?

Thanks for any help!!!

So with 50+ views and 0 replies I guess maybe I asked too many questions? Anyway I've decided to do this job right and not try to half *** it and be cheap. I don't want to have to worry about it. So I intend to split the cases and get that brass gear on the crank replaced. Now I'm just looking for some input on a good place to send it for that or is there somewhere near me that I could take it to? I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Still wondering about getting the clutches aligned on the reinstall of the engine? ( and the oil pump priming?)

Thanks for ANY input!

Your on the right track. I got a 98 srx 700 with 23000 km on it i will go through ever thing this summer no half *** is the key to reliablity

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

You will need a clutch alignment tool they sell them just about at every powersports store in canada at royal distributing they are 179.99

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

I had my sxr do this after I changed the coolant, I guess it was an air bubble for me though, after I opened the carb heater valve and heat cycled it 4 times it worked its way out and was good.

Back