Busted chain and cover

SnowDog700

Just replaced the track on a 00 srx 700 and put about a hundred miles or so on it. Yesterday as I was leaving for a ride I heard a snap and stopped dead. Not the belt, clutches fine, but the bolt and washer that holds the drive gear to the drive axle appears to have backed all the way out, popped a hole in the chain cover and snapped the chain because of alignment. The bolt and washer were OUTSIDE the case on the floor of the engine compartment. Chain was wadded up inside the case. Anyone ever heard of this happening before?

buddy of mine had that happen on a polaris, but there wasn't enough room for the bolt to fall completely out, so it sat there and wore away at the end of the shaft, so the drive shaft needed to be replaced.

Bad Shaft

The bolt is no longer a perfect fit. I'm hoping a tap will cure it. What is the price of a shaft?

Thanks--- anyone know what covers are interchangeable --- I found a place with a 97 V Max 700 cover but he's about an hour or more away--wants 50 bucks

The SX style cover will work on the SRX. The only difference is that they cut off the battery holder tabs on the SRX cover.

Thanks guys- We tried some J-B Weld. We'll see how that takes. Went with an after market chain that's the same width, but it looks like there is one less row of links. Hope thats not a mistake.

dumb question did u put the speedo housing bearing cover back on the other side of the jack shaft i learned the hard way

Back