2001 MM700 what to look at for preventitive maintance

jwardjr

Hello,

New to snowmobiling and new to me is a 2001 Mountain Max 700. Were rebuilding the engine, pistons, relining cylinders. Installing EGT bungs and probes into headers. Sorry for so many questions but I want to do it right the first time.
1. What would be a good safe jet to go with? 3000ft, headers and stock yamaha pistons?
2. What do I need to really look at beyond the engine? in the track / drive ect. Bearings, wear items etc? (sled has 3000mi) I already adjusted the chain in the trans to finger tight? and wanting to change the oil, what is the best oil & viscosity and brand to use in the trans and engine? I like Amsoil personally, riding in 20 degrees +/-

I’m not looking to go racing I just want it to last and give me good service. I'm installing the EGT to make sure I don't roast anything. Last guy over tighten the hose clamp on the plastic fuel nipple, collapsed it, ran it lean and the rest is history.

Thanks in advance

Some will tell you more about the jetting but what I can tell you is that you should get a clutch kit, say a heelclicker kit, and gear accordingly to elevation. Oh yeah, get a shop manual for that sled. Get a mechanic to inspect the clutches, these can have had a hard life on such a sled. And the shocks, if stock are shot more than likely.

How much did you have to run the tensioner in before it was finger tight. I'm just thinking about the chain being possible shock loaded and might fail soon.
If you go to :

1. TY home
2. Technical pages
3. Snowmobile Tech

You will find a WHOLE WEALTH of good shtuff.

Back