02 viper oil

redhyperviper

my viper is using to much oil i think i 2-1/2 gallons in 140 miles. i took the airbox out and cant find a leak on the oil tank or any of the lines that i see. i am using spectro non semi synthetic would this matter. there is a switch on the head on and off it is on off what does that do. and there is a screw on the middle carb it looks like an oil adjuster it looks all the way down in can i back it out.

The oil is set by the amount of gap on the oil pump cable.

Did you check the oil cable? Is it pushed together? WHat is the measurement when you pull it apart?? I can't rememeber off hand but i thinks it's like 20mm +/- 1 but don't quote me on that.There is no adjustment screw on the carbs for oil.

There are 3 cables one goes to the carbs, one goes to the choke, the third the one that controls the amout of oil goes down to the oil pump.

Maybe someone can post a pic of where you measure.

Last edited:
the screw by the middle carb is to bleed the oil pump but as far as u using 2 1/2 gallons in 140 miles u must have a leak i dont think u can even adjust the pump to use that much oil and even if u were using 2.5 gallons in 140 miles your sled would foul plugs all the time and your sled would not run good at all. Check to see if there is excessive oil over everything under the hood there must be a leak somewhere.

where do the cables go to and from. i dont se any leeaks in the lines or tank. could it be leaking out of the engine

No the fuel pump is right under the air box ant the oil pump is under the carbs. Take off your carbs and air box and you should be able to get a good look at both of them. After that trace every line that goes out of the oil pump. Hope this helps.

I figure you should be using about 1 to 1.5 "Quarts" in 140 miles. Did you really mean to say "Gallons"? If your using 2 1/2 "gallons then I think it would be leaking all over the place and you'd see it, cuz I can't see where you could burn that much w/o plugs going bad. Can't imagine how black your power values look at this point... Before I started pulling pumps apart I'd drain all that oil out and fill it w/ Yamalube2 and drive it another 100 miles...

redhyperviper, do u mean2 1/2 quarts or 2 1/2 gallons?
the tank on a viper is only like 1 1/2 gallons i'm guessing but even if u are using 2.5 quarts in 140 miles that is still way to much

oil capacity is 3.2 QUARTS. You saying you have to fill your oil tank between two and three times in 140 miles? Look behind you, i bet you can see a trail of oil, you'll never get lost. j/k. You must have meant quarts, not gallons, but that is still too much.

okay i went 150 miles and my tank is full now so probably used 1-1/2 gallons and filled up and that =2-1/2 gallons but is still too much.

i took the airbox of and found gas and oil in the airbox not much but enough. and then ran it and it started running funny had an idle at 1000rpm and the tach needle started jumping and the speedo went blank until i reved it up. and then the warning light started blinking i think it blinked 3 times

that is because the rpms dropped low enough that is lost power and restarted the ignition/diagnostic systems, so the tach recycled, the light blinked its test code, etc.

Wow that is a lot of oil. Dump the old oil, check for leaks everywhere and add 3.2 quarts of Yamalube 2 Oil and ride. I have a 03 Viper and only burn a quart in 150 miles or so. The Yamalube 2 burns good. You might want to take in to have someone look at the sled. Don't start taking apart, add the yamaha oil.

Back