Having trouble with a spare clutch

norwegian

So I bought this spare clutch that was for a 00-02 srx I was told. The problem is that it won't engage until 6400 rpm if I use 15,6 mm rollers. If I use 14,5 mm rollers it will engage @4900 rpm. With the same parts, with 15,6 mm rollers ( think) and same weights and spring, the set up will engage @ 4200-4300 on a another known "good" clutch. I have looked at the thing, and the only thing I can find is that the rollers are hard to turn around if I put 15 mm in it and almost impossible to turn if there are 15,6 mm in it. The cover seems to be a tall cover to me. So what's wrong here, the spider?

Last edited:

is the moveable sheave bushing free? meaning if you have the spring and cover off does the moveable sheave float up and down thru the clutch travel freely?

look at plastic pucks on spider, is there a bunch of build up in the pockets?

I would look and make sure the bearing is not touching the weights causing it not to spin. What weights do you have in there? Other thing I would look at would be the slides on the spider. Remove the spring and see if the halves move freely. Could have a bad bushing.

Thanks, I'll have my mechanic split it apoart before ordering a new spider for it. What bearing are you talking about RB? I have no knowledge of any bearing being in the clutch. It seems to travel quite freely, but will have to check again tomorrow. The previous owner said it had 900 miles on it, ya right. But if the spider was wacked off, I'd see it right?
A couple of bucks; I believe I have a tall cover for this tall cover clutch. It seems to be as tall as the other cover on the other clutch.

After reading these replies, the best thing to do is to check the wear components first.
thanks.

Looked at the clutch again. There are some thick streaks of black in the pockets but the pucks are good. Also tried to push the clutch in by hand against the floor with the spring in and it seems to move like it should. It seems that always one of the rollers is harder to turn than the others. Seems like it will vary which one, but always at least one. Can this be an indication that the spider is bad?
First post is also edited.

Last edited:
take the spring and cover off,

1.)remove the rollers from the clutch, take a pair of digital calipers and see if the openings for the rollers in the spider are all the same size.
2.) look inside of the rollers see if the fiber bushing has a corner loose in it
3.) see if all the pins are the same size where the roller rides on them

4.) with the cover off and the rollers removed if you pick up the moveable sheave and let go if it does it drop with zero resistance to the stationary sheave? is there play in it when you rock it back and forth on the main spider shaft?

I'll look into it tomorrow. The first thing I am going to check is the pins. I think they are the same size, but I'll look into it.

I couldn't wait till tomorrow.
1) One of the openings for the rollers is slightly tighter than the other two, this is because if I spin the roller (same size, from the same set) on that opening, it won't spin as much as on the other two. To put it in an easier way, the spider "fingers" are holding one of the rollers too tight.

2) Fiber bushings seem to be allright, although there might be a microscopic edge on at least two of them
3) Pins are all the same size down to a 1/100 of a millimeter.
4) It drops to the stationary sheave with zero resistance. There is a very slight play when I rock it back and forth, but it seems to be hard to determine whether that is caused by the play between the sliders and moveable sheave, or the bushing on the moveable sheave.

Last edited:
Also checked the primary cap markings /numbers /8df00 and 8cr and stationary sheave, they are the right ones compared to what I expect.

Last edited:
I couldn't wait till tomorrow.
1) One of the openings for the rollers is slightly tighter than the other two, this is because if I spin the roller (same size, from the same set) on that opening, it won't spin as much as on the other two. To put it in an easier way, the spider "fingers" are holding one of the rollers too tight.

2) Fiber bushings seem to be allright, although there might be a microscopic edge on at least two of them
3) Pins are all the same size down to a 1/100 of a millimeter.
4) It drops to the stationary sheave with zero resistance. There is a very slight play when I rock it back and forth, but it seems to be hard to determine whether that is caused by the play between the sliders and moveable sheave, or the bushing on the moveable sheave.

someone tightend down the roller pin bolt too much, so the easiest way to fix it and be on your way is to simply take a nice flat file and clean up both inside flat surfaces till they measure the same as the other 2 and your done!

I was able to overcome the "holding the roller too tight" thing with used washers, so now all rollers run pretty much as freely as the next when the spring is not on. When I put the spring back on, one or two are slightly harder to turn over than the one, but this shouldn't matter that much?

If this doesn't solve it, I'm clueless. I'm trying it out tomorrow on the mountain max. Does it matter that the MM is weaker at engagement speed than the srx, or will I get engagement at the same rpm no matter the motor strength?

Last edited:
I don't get it. Tried with 14,5 rollers, stock set up for my altitude, it is supposed to engage at 4500-4700, but engages at 4900-4700. Will the fact that this has a hauck speesheave, change the engagement rpm by 200-400? thanks. What's the next thing to check?

I don't get it. Tried with 14,5 rollers, stock set up for my altitude, it is supposed to engage at 4500-4700, but engages at 4900-4700. Will the fact that this has a hauck speesheave, change the engagement rpm by 200-400? thanks. What's the next thing to check?

ahh yes, the hauck sheave is on the clutch, so its not stock. The easiest way to see if you have the same nuetral clearance is to take off the belt and measure from sheave to sheave down at the shaft then compare that to the known stock clutch, the clutch with the hauck sheave is likely wider clearance.

Wider clearance equals higher engagement? Don't worry, I'm not going to run the Hauck sheave on a MM, it's just for testing whether the clutch functions as it should.

I used the same belt on both clutches. Seems like the solution so far is that the hauck sheave isn't compatible with an weight/roller combo. Use 15,6 mm rollers and the weights have to swing out pretty far before the moveable sheave grabs the belt.

Back