Lightening piston pins

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I read a post some time back where someone was using Weisco piston pins with oem pistons because they are lighter than the stock ones,and I can attest to this,I took a stock one and weighed it against a Weisco one.While I can't remember the exact difference I can say it was significant,enough that with the rotating mass of an engine it would HAVE to be some benefit.So this got me thinking why not take a stock pin and have the centre of it bored out a bit to lighten it up?Yes I realize you'd need to use a coolant to keep the metal from heating up and distorting or otherwise changing it's internal structure but any decent machine shop should be able to do this.Has anyone done this?I've got an old oem pin I'm thinking of trying this on,or at least getting a machine shop to try it,and see how it comes out.

If you compare the two pins, the wiseco pins are much, much thinner. I would believe there is different metalurgy between oem and the wiseco pins and by taking a lot of material off of a stock pin, it could have catastrophic results. If you want a lighter pin, just buy a wiseco pin.

If you lightened up the piston assembly, would you not throw off the balance with the counter balance on the crank?

As long as all 3 are lighten same amount the is no balance problems

Last edited:
I've got some old Weisco pins from when I ran their pistons a few seasons ago and I may just use the pins when I rebuild my 01 SRX this fall.Boring the stock pins out was just a thought I had,one of the many odd ideas bouncing around the old cranium.

I have a little experience with this on my Banshee. Years ago I had a Trinity stage IV modification done. That included lightened pistons (now wiseco has them as a std) and fly wheel along with porting and other engine work. It added around 30HP to bring it up to around 60HP total.

The lightened fly wheel and pistons allowed the engine to spool up noticeably quicker (added HP probably helped also), but will not hold RPM as easy because it is lighter. Not sure but on a trail sled that might not be a good idea.

Just my WAG

Back