Mid 90s V-Max twin CDI difference

A couple of bucks

VIP Member
I have noticed that there is a different part number for a 94 Vmax 600 & a 96 XT6. Are there any gains to be had by going to a different CDI on my daughters XT6. And if so, which year/s would I need to get? And would it be trailable ?

cdi's altered the timing curve for the 96 models to accomodate the new engine and exhaust changes. it is compatable with the 94/95 models, but i have no idea what gains or losses you would see.

swap one over and let us know!

I was always under the impression that the 94/5s were a bit snappier. From what I assumed was slightly advanced timing. And then again we all know how assume is spelled .... ***-u-me. We shall see what the outcome is in a few months.

Last edited:
Maybe the 96 had a thicker headgasket and therefore less compression?

yeah, like twice the thickness of the prior years. yamaha's attempt to save the engines from the crappy fuels and weak thumbs by reducing compression along with other changes.

long track vmaxes still had the thinner head gaskets, but they were also altitude specific and had the not so smart carbs.

the 96 cdi's reduced the timing just over 4000 rpm and again at around 6800. in comparison with the 94-95 models. known lean spots in the prior year's carbeuration werre adjusted as well. all those models were known for midrange lean burns if the throttle was held for extended periods without "blipping". too many warranty claims for unexplained lean burns. just some things that i had experienced over the years.

Back