CDI connector melted

Fastsx

A little background on sled I am helping a friend with:
-97 700sx had weak spark and bad crank bearing.
-found used 2000 sxr600 bottom end and installed.
-new plug caps(they failed res. check)

Sled run ok for an hour or so and small connector that goes to CDI had brown wire melt out of connector....

Any Ideas??? Thanks guys..

I have a 97 SX7 and have had shorting occur in the plug just off the ignition key. My sled wouldn't Saturday during our first snow of the year. My short seemed to be from a small amount of oily grit in the plug condensing moisture. I took the affected pins out, and cleaned them with a wire brush and used qtips with alcohol to clean the plug and put it back together. This has happened twice to me now and I am going to try wrapping the back sides of the plugs to try to keep moisture and oil out.

Thanks guys! I bypassed connector and wire still gets hot, will try cdi but when its all done I will be putting on some liquid tape to prevent additional probs...Happy sleddin'
Fastsx

Even there was no moisture in connector when it was fired up at night it was a real light show inside connector. It had mild corrosion so connector was cut out and spliced. No more probs. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.Fastsx

Putting some light grease in the conn. will help eliminate any moisture sneaking in.Used this trick alot when fixing tailights and conn.on farmers old grain trucks.

Back