Yamaha Venture XL... 500 LIQUID???

1999venture

Hi guys. I'm new here. Sorry in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.. Anyhow I have a 1999 Venture 500 XL with the 485 fan.. What's up with the liquid I am hearing about? I know about the triples (600 and 700) but not this engine. How many engines were there for the Venture? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

There is a liquid VT 500. It used the same engine as the xtc/sx/sxr/dlx 500. There were 4 engines for the Venture in 1999, 500 fan, 500 liquid, 600 and 700 triples. In 1997-1998, the Venture 600 had an twin engine. Hope this helps.

There is a liquid VT 500. It used the same engine as the xtc/sx/sxr/dlx 500. There were 4 engines for the Venture in 1999, 500 fan, 500 liquid, 600 and 700 triples. In 1997-1998, the Venture 600 had an twin engine. Hope this helps.
Thank you for clearing this up. So they dropped the 500 liquid twin in favour of the 600 twin? If so any idea why they would drop the 500 liquid (other than the power difference)?

The 500 fanner gets fantastic gas mileage.
Really? I find mine to be a PIG sometimes. Then again.. Compared to my old GS 300.. It's a dream on fuel. Another question (only bought this sled last February and had 1 trip) is there any mods you can get for these sleds? Like power train wise? Thanks in advance.

You could put a pipe on it. Not sure if they made one for the venture but I know that they made one for the phazer 500 which should be about the same thing.

You could put a pipe on it. Not sure if they made one for the venture but I know that they made one for the phazer 500 which should be about the same thing.
I was thinking that. And you might be correct because it should be about the same chassis, other than the Venture's chassis is retrofitted so that the 600 and 700 will slip right in. Engine mods should obviously be possible. Right?

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It should be possible. And the same with engine upgrades like carbs and pistons etc. just kicking skis here :p

The 500 and 600 liquid existed at the same time. The 500 was from from 1997 to 2001, and the 600 twin from 1997 to 1998. Both engines I believe were pretty much the same engine as in the 1994 vmax models, just made to fit the newer sx chassie.

The 500 and 600 liquid existed at the same time. The 500 was from from 1997 to 2001, and the 600 twin from 1997 to 1998. Both engines I believe were pretty much the same engine as in the 1994 vmax models, just made to fit the newer sx chassie.
Okay Cool. I bet the performance difference is unbelievable between the 485 fan and 500 liquid.

That is true. I would obviously have to take the head off of the engine. Great time to check for wear and tear and replace any parts that need replacing. And put new performance pistons in just for the increase in power.

I really don't think there would be much of a difference in power between the 485 and 500. You'd probably be better off just sticking with the OEM pistons.
I thought the liquid cooling would make a difference 0_0 anyway, you might be right about the pistons. The price difference should be HUGE though. And for probably longer lasting pistons.

I thought the liquid cooling would make a difference 0_0 anyway, you might be right about the pistons. The price difference should be HUGE though. And for probably longer lasting pistons.

OEM pistons are worth the extra $. I had a phazer with a 485 and a vmax 500 liquid and there really wasn't much of a difference in power.

Ok cool. Thanks for the help. Btw just a tip. If you use yamalube use another oil. Yamalube is oil made by the lowest bidder. Garbage oil for more money. Just wanted to let everyone know. :offtopic:

There is alot to be done if you decide to do that. The cooling system for one.

Back