My Track is Junk,,

PoPPin600

I have a 99 SX 600 that needs a track. What lug size can i safely run on this sled without having to worry about snagging anything? I have read I can run a 1.25" track with no mods and with switching to an 8 tooth drive cog setup and removing the tunnel protectors, I can safely run up to a 2".

I would just like to keep it around an inch and a quarter because it will be more of a trail sled and on the lake more or less, so i think that a 2" would be a little too aggressive.

I just wanted to know what you guys have put on your SX Vmax's before i shelled out the cash for a new track. Any recommendations also? Tracks are expensive so I would like to get one that will last a while. In my experience, not all rubber compounds are created equal,, example, truck tires,,, Goodyear Wrangler tires, I barely got a year out of them, BFG All terrains, 50 thousand miles later and still look new..

Are sled tracks similar as far as certain brands or a brands style of track last longer than some others? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :sled1:

Some of the lugs are completely missing, the one in the photo is one that just dangles off and I can't imagine what it'd be doing spinning at 70-80 mph.. The last pic is in the center if the track inside of it. The guy who owned it before me had installed the rear shock absorber upside down,, and the result is this,, all the way around the track... I think its time for a new track.

For the most part, there are a handful of tracks that most people on here use on their sleds. I went with a 1" hacksaw with 96 studs on my Viper. I basically run groomed trails all the time. If you're going to be running groomed trails and lakes I would lean more towards a 1".

I put a 1 inch hacksaw on my SRX and so far I like it. My wife's sx 500 will need a track maybe next year and might put the same on hers. Only thing I wish I did was put 1.175 studs in it. 1.080 stud boys are alright but not the grip i was looking for. I mainly trail ride so I can deal with it for now.

With your stock 9 tooth drivers that you have in it now......
1. 1 inch track with 1.175 studs
2. 1.25 track w/o studs
3. 1.5 inch track with heat exchange protectors removed.

I have removed the protectors on 2 out of the 3 Yamahas I have owned.

For the conditions you stated, I'd be looking for a Kimpex Ultimate Traction or a Camo Hacksaw. The Hacksaw is a faster track and the Ultimate Traction will last as long as the sled does. Both are 1 inch.

For the conditions you stated, I'd be looking for a Kimpex Ultimate Traction or a Camo Hacksaw. The Hacksaw is a faster track and the Ultimate Traction will last as long as the sled does. Both are 1 inch.
Its like your reading my mind or something......I have 2 of the 1" Kimpex Ultimate Traction on sleds as of right
now. A 98 SRX 600 untuded and a 99 SRX 700 studded. Both came pre-drilled for studs.

Thanks for the info you guys! I haven't looked at the Kimpex tracks yet, everybody I know just says "rip saw,,rip saw,," which looks like a very nice track, But if the Kimpex track will last longer, I would personally lean towards that one. Still undecided though. I am going to check out Kimpex right now and see what they offer. I really do not want to run studs, and I do some occasional off trail not really boon docking but just hitting some drifts and fields with deeper snow so I am looking into both 1.25 and 1",, but if the 1.25 will fit with no issue, I would assume the larger lug the better?? but I am no expert when it comes to tracks. will a larger lug strain the motor any more than a 1"? I would guess that the extra quarter inch of rubber on each lug would make the track heavier,, maybe i just over think Everything too much... but I appreciate the info.

If your lake riding, 21/40 gearing is a must when going up in track size. I went to 20/40 on my sons 99 SX6. We're not interested in every last ounce of MPHs though. Just jetting from fence row to fence row.

Last edited:
or just notch the track to clear them if you want to keep in for saftey. autical/nipper pliers work great for this.

Has anybody had any experience with a track that features studs molded into the lugs? Like the Kimpex Ultimate Ice track? They are Pricey but they look very nice, I wonder if those tracks shed studs at all?

If you are thinking about the pre-studded tracks, you can add Bergstrom Trail Grabbers to that 1.375 track(or any)and save some $. Many tracks have options(holes) where car studs could have been molded in. Add the trails grabbers at those points of the track and you'll be golden.
http://www.bergstromskegs.com/tg/tg_main.htm
If your not going to stud, this one is a Ultimate Traction/predator design in a 1.375 size.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111244076907

ran an ice ripper on my 05 war for 3 seasons. it did loose a few studs on it but they did no harm before i scrapped the track from lost lugs.

Back