'83 SS440 clutch parts

snomofo

VIP Lifetime Member
I posted this in the "other yamaha sleds" forum but got no bites.

I need a source for clutch parts (pins/rollers) and disassembly instructions for an '83 SS440.

This is a friend's sled (one of my assistant coaches) and he plans to let his boys ride it. After looking inside the inspection holes of the cover, the rollers are flat spotted and the pins wowed. It looks like the pins are held in with washers and cotter pins and two of the three are missing the cotter pins.

I don't want it to granade while one of his boys are riding it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

John

Worth a try I guess.... I've never torn one apart but it looks like it's just a closed cover with the 6 bolts instead of the open cover like we have on our newer sleds.

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003b3c2f8700212fc83d8d5/primary-sheave

Thanks FJ.

Yeah, I thought the same but when I loosened the 6 cover bolts expecting the cover to begin seperating from the moveable sheave it wasn't. Maybe something is jambed. It's probably never been apart so I'll try tapping on the cover to see if I can break it free.

Thanks again, the exploded view is very helpful.

Did you loosen up the bolt securing the primary? Might need to in order to get the cover off???

LOL! Yeah....May have sounded like a dumb question but you never know. Anyway, just noticed that "Whereswade" (member on here) has the same sled. He may have dealt with the same problem.

LOL! Yeah....May have sounded like a dumb question but you never know. Anyway, just noticed that "Whereswade" (member on here) has the same sled. He may have dealt with the same problem.

"The dumb question is the one never asked".

I got it apart and it's a mess. All the dust and shrapnel was holding the cover from popping off. Kinda interesting - the cover uses a gimble type bearing with a collar. Needs a spider, weights, pins, rollers but the moveable sheave and cover bushing are okay.

Thanks again.

Exactly! I always tell my son "There's no such thing as a stupid question" Good news! At least you got it apart. Yeah, the schematic looked interesting.

Back