New sled or upgrade old one

no they have a crossover pipe that you replace with the cooler. the only hole needed to drill is for the coolant bleed screw as it is in a different location.

Ok, so where would I find some hoses for the rear exchanger? Not sure what lengths I need.

When I stretched my srx I went to a local auto parts store and found a couple hoses with a 45 degree bend in them. They were about 2 feet long and I just cut them down to the length I needed. Worked perfect. 90 degree bend was too much and straight wasn't good either, unless you put on a set of those springs over top of them to stop them from kinking... which I thought was ugly.

When I stretched my srx I went to a local auto parts store and found a couple hoses with a 45 degree bend in them. They were about 2 feet long and I just cut them down to the length I needed. Worked perfect. 90 degree bend was too much and straight wasn't good either, unless you put on a set of those springs over top of them to stop them from kinking... which I thought was ugly.

Ok, so you just used auto hose pipe? And that worked fine for you?

Ok, so you just used auto hose pipe? And that worked fine for you?

Yep, did it about 6 years ago and they are still going strong. It's the same hose as automotive hose. I do remember it was a little difficult to find, if I recall viper and srx hoses are 1"? But they are out there. Just bring your old hose with you when you go and show them what you are looking for.

I believe it's 3/4 in radiator hose. Put it on my sons sled quite a few years ago. Same shtuff.

No, the srx and I think viper's have bigger hoses on them than the vmax's, mtn max, etc. I bought a tunnel extension from a mtn max for mine that still had the mtn max cooler on it. I know for sure that the nipples were smaller on that cooler, 3/4 inch ones. Didn't matter for me because I took it out and mounted my srx one in it.

No, the srx and I think viper's have bigger hoses on them than the vmax's, mtn max, etc. I bought a tunnel extension from a mtn max for mine that still had the mtn max cooler on it. I know for sure that the nipples were smaller on that cooler, 3/4 inch ones. Didn't matter for me because I took it out and mounted my srx one in it.

So it is a 3/4 inch or 1 inch? lol.

So it is a 3/4 inch or 1 inch? lol.

Lol, my srx was 1 inch, didn't mean to confuse you. I'm pretty sure viper is too. The nipples from the mtn max cooler were for a smaller hose than for my srx. Super1c just long tracked a couple vipers recently so a guy like him would tell you for sure what size they are and even what he did for new hoses. Here is a link to his thread which might help you with info...

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/86904-Pair-of-vipers-go-144-quot?highlight=super1c

And if all else fails just take one of your original ones off your sled when you go to get the new ones and you know you will get the right size.

Edit: I just read through the thread I linked up above and in post #75 superc1 mentions he used 1 " hose, there is a picture of it there too.

Last edited:
Lol, my srx was 1 inch, didn't mean to confuse you. I'm pretty sure viper is too. The nipples from the mtn max cooler were for a smaller hose than for my srx. Super1c just long tracked a couple vipers recently so a guy like him would tell you for sure what size they are and even what he did for new hoses. Here is a link to his thread which might help you with info...

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/86904-Pair-of-vipers-go-144-quot?highlight=super1c

And if all else fails just take one of your original ones off your sled when you go to get the new ones and you know you will get the right size.

Edit: I just read through the thread I linked up above and in post #75 superc1 mentions he used 1 " hose, there is a picture of it there too.

Ok, Is this going to be a terribly hard job?

Don't waste your money or time on those pipes. 400.00 for a sled that will run worse. Spend it on the cooler, head gaskets as others have recommended

I believe, now that some of these sleds have become pretty affordable, a guy should almost have two of em'. A friend of mine had a MM700 triple pipes, viper carbs, etc etc and when it worked, she was hot! But, most of the time it was finicky and troublesome. Now on the other hand, my MM600 twin, while being pretty much stock just needs a quick carb clean in the fall and it's trouble free, engine wise anyways, for the whole year. Ya I could pipe it and put a thin HG on it but I would like to just fire it up and ride....I'm tired of tinkering ALL THE TIME. They make efi for that now lol. I still wouldn't mind have a hot 700 redhead but I think I will always have just a tasteful stocker close by.

Back