wishing yamaha would go back to there roots?

ragerider

Maybe I'm rambling just a bit but I love my Yamaha sleds and have owned many 69 351 sl 292 gp 433 sr 433 srx 440's exciter 440's enticer 250,300 340"S, ss440 srv" vmax 540 excel II"S , 2 PHAZERS, 5 PHAZER II's, exciter II, venture gt I bought my first new Yamaha vmax 500 red when I was a senior in high school in 94 traded it on a 95 600 bought a new 99 700 sx, bought a new 02 viper, new 05 rage, new 08 nitro. I must say that after the rage which I was never happy with and the nitro which I totally hated I switched to dare I say it doo in 2010 with a 800 backcountry renegade and in 2014 with a new 800 freeride, Yamaha inverted the light weight mountain sled with the phazer and now they went in totally the opposite direction. I want to go back to Yamaha eventually but they have to build a sled that's a game changer just as the original phazer was and not a cat built Yamaha.

It's a real shame that the R&D department was asleep for a couple years there and Yamaha ended up going to Cat to share their chassis;we all know that Yamaha can build innovative sleds,they should be building their own light weight chassis to put the Nytro engine in by now.Maybe next year.

Ya know i said much the same words before I bought my new viper. Hated cat. But ya know the viper is pretty awesome machine. I know what you guys are saying. Yami can do anything. But look at economics of the whole thing. Way easier and cheaper to partner up with someone and role out a different model to appease some of us for the time being. I for one think they will come out with a genuine YAMAHA beast in coming years. Especially if we keep having good winters. But for now Im super pleased with my viper and glad I bought it. Ive just switched jobs recently to a product development role. I understand now that you just dont build it and throw it out there. So give yami some time and im sure they'll please

Pretty certain from my info there will be a new Yamaha sled from japan this coming winter for 2016MY.The model segment its designed for is about 10% of the TY faithful(Tundra,frozen north,bravo LT terrain).As for anything else from japan it gets pretty bleak........Wouldn,t be surprised the ATV division goes the same route with cat built,yamaha powered quads.No new grizzly makes this seem possible.

Last edited:
I spoke with the Yamaha reps at the Toronto snowmobile show and everything seems to point to 2016 as being a BIG year for Yamaha... both snow and dirt. They couldn't / wouldn't divulge any REAL information as to WHAT. I agree with the OP view as I to own MANY Yamaha products and it's VERY difficult to sit... and watch... and wait...believe me they know how we feel. I really hope to see something "all Yamaha" and perhaps even being manufactured right here in North America!

Last edited:
I spoke with to the Yamaha reps at the Toronto snowmobile show and everything seems to point to 2016 as being a BIG year for Yamaha... both snow and dirt. They couldn't / wouldn't divulge any REAL information as to WHAT. I agree with the OP view as I to own MANY Yamaha products and it's VERY difficult to sit... and watch... and wait...believe me they know how we feel. I really hope to see something "all Yamaha" and perhaps even being manufactured right here in North America!

Damn I hope you are right...

I was thinking of a new viper, but now I'm thinking I should wait until 2016 to see what they come up with...maybe they'll bring back the 2 stroke or another SRX!

I want Yamaha to build an innovative, lightweight, minimalist design mountain sled with an injected 2-STROKE super reliable fuel efficient engine, and don't do it with Cat or anyone else! They have the engineering capabilities to build it and I wish they would. I don't care about crazy max horsepower I just want a sled that is bulletproof and light.

Just read an email from Yamaha showcasing all the new products that have been brought to market in MY 2015. Still in production are the 2 stroke outboard motors with all kinds of recent technology.... I'm always curious WHY they are so steadfast with 4 stoke technology for sleds while the "other" manufacturers offer both 2 and 4 stroke or 2 stroke exclusively. There MUST be enough of a 2 stroke market for them to produce, market and sell a 2 stroke sled, but, perhaps the amount of $$$ required to bring such a sled to market is viewed as not financially prudent.... New Apex = the rebirth of the Vmax4 @ 500 lbs and an all new SRX 1000 2 stroke @ 500 lbs... A GUY CAN DREAM (LOL)

They also still make 2 stroke dirtbikes...only in the 250 class though. They would be smart if they brought back the 2 stroke. So many people would buy one, including me!

If anyone has noticed the yz 2 stroke engine hasn't changed for years. They aren't developing it anymore, just producing it, which is sad.

If anyone has noticed the yz 2 stroke engine hasn't changed for years. They aren't developing it anymore, just producing it, which is sad.

yup. yzs are pretty much unchanged since 2006 yet almost all offroad and enduro riders prefer 2 strokes. Yamaha hasnt come out with an all new sled motor since the 2007 phazer. Even the nytro engine is just an efi version of the vectors engine. Yamaha hasnt done much at all in 5-6 years

yup. yzs are pretty much unchanged since 2006 yet almost all offroad and enduro riders prefer 2 strokes. Yamaha hasnt come out with an all new sled motor since the 2007 phazer. Even the nytro engine is just an efi version of the vectors engine. Yamaha hasnt done much at all in 5-6 years

Makes me made because I am currently looking for a 2 stroke trail bike option, I wish they made a 2 stroke enduro so bad.

Never noticed it went unchanged for that long, they need to do something fast! Roy, ktm is a great bike and trail ready! If was in the market for another bike it would be ktm for sure...and yes 2 strokes are king of the bike trails!

Never noticed it went unchanged for that long, they need to do something fast! Roy, ktm is a great bike and trail ready! If was in the market for another bike it would be ktm for sure...and yes 2 strokes are king of the bike trails!

I'll look into it! It's that or I try and take a yz125 or 250 2 stroke and make it more trail friendly. It's just that they are harder to come by and can be pricy.

Last edited:
I'll look into it! It's that or I try and take a yz125 or 250 2 stroke and make it more trail friendly. It's just that they are harder to come by and can be pricy.

Get a used yz250 and put a heavier flywheel on it and revalve the suspension. I have a 08 wr450f myself and its an amazing trail/offroad bike. 12000km and its yet to give me any trouble.

I've been riding KTM's since 06, they are great bikes that are ready to go right out of the box. Add hand guards, skid plate and go. Mine have been the most reliable bikes I've ever owned and that's 35+ years of riding. Just to date myself here's a pic of me and my 1977 YZ 125.

How often are you guys doing rings, pistons, cranks etc on 2 stroke trail bike? That's the next deciding factor for me.

Ktms Husabergs or gas gas are all great trail bikes ready to go! Get a 300 ktm enduro if your serious. REALLY nice bike! Husabergs are pricey but basically the same as ktm. Or just get a yzee and woodsify it...doesn't really take much...but it won't be no ktm that's for sure! Lol

Back