Broken Jackshaft??

PJVMAX

Broke the jackshaft on my '01 sxr 700 with ~7300 miles. I had checked the bearings prior to the start of the season and all looked well. The shaft broke right at the bearing on the secondary side. The inner race is siezed to the broken jackshaft however, the bearings and outer race still spin freely, the bearing keeper is fine, WTF?? What besides a bad bearing would cause the jackshaft to break? What else should I look for before putting everything back together? I've inspected everything in the chaincase and all looks well. I plan to replace the jackshaft, bearing, and drive shaft bearing. Anything else?

maybe a real hard jolt from landing with the track spinning fast in the air, and a slow ground speed upon landing (quick change in track speed when you hit the ground), or spinning like crazy and then a sudden hook up. Something had to have put a lot of load on that shaft.

Yeah, if I had done that I could understand it. However, I was just cruising down the trail at about 60 -70 when it let go. I hadn't been jumping at all previous to that. This really has me stumped. The news bearings I bought feel stiffer than the ones I'm replacing.

That's what I figured. Anything else I should look at while it's apart?

Back