Phazer to Vmax Carb Conversion...experts inside please!

Well I have the carbs installed, ended up using a set from a 93 SX Exciter.
DSC01314.JPG
Also got the air box installed.
DSC01317.JPG

Tomorrow I hope to add some mixed gas, finish priming the pump and fire it up.
fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

Bad day.
Fired sled up this morning and held oil pump cable full out for the 2 minutes.
Lots of smoke, fouled a plug, changed that, fired engine up and it seemed to run fine, had 10 liters of mixed gas in tank.
Ran it for a few minutes, switched it off, installed the secondary clutch, belt etc.
Hooked oil pump cable to throttle block.
Topped up the tank with fresh non-mixed gas.
Came back 2 hours later and it started first pull but will only run on one cylinder.
Seems to be getting gas no problem.
Changed plugs, no difference.
Checked plug lead, all good.
Tomorrow I will check the starter (choke) cables, they seem a bit tight, no free play when off.
Hope it's not my CDI, I compression tested the rebuilt motor and forgot to ground out the plugs :(

Last edited:
What do you mean you forgot to ground the plugs? Why would that matter, did you have the kill switch off?

Did you check both sides for spark? Maybe it's just loaded up sounds like it's had a lot of oil through it.

What do you mean you forgot to ground the plugs? Why would that matter, did you have the kill switch off?

Did you check both sides for spark? Maybe it's just loaded up sounds like it's had a lot of oil through it.

Thanks for the reply YW
Kill switch was not off I think, forgot to hit it.
I will check the spark and evaluate from there.
It could be its getting too much oil from the pump.
I have another pump, will hook it up to the butterfly carbs and compare to the Flat slide set-up.
I know already from doing this before the install that the SX cable opens the oil pump up more at max throttle.
I thought I had it the same setting for start-up and idle though, will check it tomorrow.

Better day :)
Adjusted choke cables.
Started first pull and runs awesome, throttle response is nice.
That one cable might have been the problem.
Going to try it on the snow

Had it out for a short run today, only time for a few miles, 12" fresh powder and a bit of groomed trail.
The Flat slides give really good throttle response from any throttle setting, way better than the butterfly carbs, no bog.
Running stock exhaust, 145 mains with 50 pilots.
Very pleased so far.

my name is mike i just bought a nice 96 phaser2 with a aaen pipe and 136-1-3/4 with 7 tooth drivers gears is 16/33 i have been playing with the jetting on the stock carbs those things are a pain in the butt very frustrating working on them my elevation is 2000ft i had 143 little to rich i just put 138.8 seems good nice brown and 95 pilot jet 1-1/2 turns runs good but not the throttle response i am looking for and i have seen many people u have helped out i am very interested in putting on some round slides i have 2 34mm carbs they came off a couple of old skidoos and i was wondering what to start with needles, pilot,main and clip pos they have 3.0 slides and i also found a set of 38 flatslides from a 96 vmax with a throttle block i live in canada and the flatslides are in canada but they will cost me $260 cash for the flat slides . any advice i will take very seriously i was going to sell it until i rode it , it came with another sled that i was more interested in said it didnt start it took me 5mins and was running awsome now i not going to sell it i had a good time on it i am use to big power but i cant ride anything that big with the girlfriend i had a big smile sorry little long winded thanks for u time mike

my name is mike i just bought a nice 96 phaser2 with a aaen pipe and 136-1-3/4 with 7 tooth drivers gears is 16/33 i have been playing with the jetting on the stock carbs those things are a pain in the butt very frustrating working on them my elevation is 2000ft i had 143 little to rich i just put 138.8 seems good nice brown and 95 pilot jet 1-1/2 turns runs good but not the throttle response i am looking for and i have seen many people u have helped out i am very interested in putting on some round slides i have 2 34mm carbs they came off a couple of old skidoos and i was wondering what to start with needles, pilot,main and clip pos they have 3.0 slides and i also found a set of 38 flatslides from a 96 vmax with a throttle block i live in canada and the flatslides are in canada but they will cost me $260 cash for the flat slides . any advice i will take very seriously i was going to sell it until i rode it , it came with another sled that i was more interested in said it didnt start it took me 5mins and was running awsome now i not going to sell it i had a good time on it i am use to big power but i cant ride anything that big with the girlfriend i had a big smile sorry little long winded thanks for u time mike

Hi Mike, that sled sounds very nice.
I can't help with the jetting, lots of people on here that can though if they happen to check in.
I run 500 to 1000 ft, flat slides running 145 mains and 50 pilots, stock pipe, I think my jetting is too rich though.
Needles are set at 2nd groove from the top.
Sled starts instantly cold or hot first pull and I can shut the choke off after only seconds.
Hopefully someone chimes in with jetting suggestions for your elevation and pipe.

Last edited:
Ok Gents,

Parts are starting to arrive. Got a set of flat slides off a Vmax 600 sitting in front of me and a Bender pipe on the way. Need to source a throttle block and cable set up. I have an old Carve track off my SRX 700 I’m going to throw on it. Need to have some custom rear brackets fabbed to relocate the suspension. What else am I forgetting?

to Mike with the stock carbs of the 96 you need bigger pilots .....110 is what you need the 95 stock pilot is the issue and you should have a main of at least 147.5

for the 84 the pitch is the same 2.52" same as the late model track only difference should be length 84-89 is a 116'' track and the 700 track is a 121 or like 90 and up phazer II

Just bought a rack of 1995 Vmax 600 carbs with cables and throttle assembly and i'm ready to try them.

I'm also interrested in some ballpark jetting data to start with.
I also have a bender racing pipe.
The 1995 Vmax 600 have a 156.3 main jet an 52.5 pilot.
I will start with that. I'm at around 1500-2000ft.

I also have the oil pump cable problem since i can find a exciter SX cable here in canada. And it's discontinued from yamaha.
I bought some wire and small brass cylinder to make wire. will probably ended to make a homemade one.

Thanks for your help.

I have a DG pipe on mine, gutted airbox, Q-6 nozzle, 52.5 pilot, 152.5 main, 8cfy6-55needle in the middle. I ride 2200ft to 3500ft with it, mine is a 96 st

So I know have a tough decision to make. I picked up what was presented to me as a Bender pipe, which in reality turned out to be a DRP pipe for a 92 Phazer. Being that the 92 was a wide body, I will have to clearance this pipe to clear the TSS upright. I paid $175 for the pipe and am hesitant to put a big dent(probable a good 6 inch area that needs 3-4 inches of clearance). I just saw a post on craigslist for a brand new DG single for $250. I called DRP looking for some direction for jetting and the person on the phone could be bothered..I get it...no new sale but help a brother out. Anyways, looking for opinions as to what you would do in my situation. Thanks

The aftermarket and stock pipes should be all the same from 84 and up. if you have to dent the pipe for clearance, its not a phazer pipe.

As Far as I know, there was no specific pipe for a 92. If it fits a 92, it will fit all models except trailing arm sleds.

I have verified the model number as for a 92 Phazer or later and have tried to mock it up in the sled. It will fit a wide body, not a narrow body. The only place of interference is with the TSS upright. Back to my original question, better to clearance this pipe or spend the coin on the DG?

Weird. I wonder why they changed the pipe since all the other pipes are the same? Buy the DG instead of hacking up and compromising that pipe.

I have a DG pipe on mine, gutted airbox, Q-6 nozzle, 52.5 pilot, 152.5 main, 8cfy6-55needle in the middle. I ride 2200ft to 3500ft with it, mine is a 96 st

I installed mine this weekend, i ride at around 1700ft-2000 ft.
I have a bender racing pipe and my phazer is a 1995 st.
I try it first with the stock 1995 Vmax jettings. Its a 52.5 pilot, 156.3 main jet, needle 8cyf6-55 in the middle.
I don't know about the stock nozzle number...

When i first ride it, I had a good throttle response from 0-1/4 but around 1/2 throttle it was rich a bit.
When at snap the throttle at WOT. For 1 or 2 seconds its make a strange klicking sound in the exhaust it the engine dont pull . I thing it is pinging a lot.

I will bought a 162.5 and 165 main and will try dropping the needle a notch.

I seems it need a rich main... More than i have seen on many forum.
I begin to have a little doubt on the pipe. The guy from who i bought it said me it was for a phazer, but at the installation i had to make a new hole near the footrest and i have to cut a bit of the footrest in the cab near the chaincase to properly place the pipe. It have the bender racing sticker on it but no part number that i can refer too it.

And an other questions, what is the throttle band impact of the nozzle ? Maybe it need to change it?

Thanks for your help

Back