Track Adjustment vs loose Drive chain

kfischer

I just got my sled and have put on a 100 miles, all trail. The sled started ratcheting after a 15 mile ride and i had to drive it home. Under low speeds the ratcheting is very hard sounds like slamming, but not at high speeds above 30 the track dosent make the slamming noise. I tightened the track about three turns and the track continued to stay loose and ratchet. Im not sure if its the drive chain or a loose track?

What can I do to determine if the drive train is loose?
How often should i adjust my track?

99 venture 700
track 3000 miles
6500 on motor

IF you need any reference pictures let me know.

Check your belt too. .. one or two missing lugs can make some crazy vibrations

To adjust the chain case: back off the jam nut, back off the bolt then run it in finger tight and back it off 1/2 turn then set the jam nut. If the sled is new to you it wouldn't be a bad idea to drain the chain case and pull the cover and inspect everything. If your sled has reverse there will be some backlash in the driveline, it's just the bottom reverse gear and bottom chain gear working against the drive dog.

Something else you want to check is the drive axle.I had the original one on my 98 SRX snap in two last season and it was doing the same thing,ratcheting like crazy under power but cruising was fine.I tightened the track up and even checked the chain but didn't find the broken axle til I got the sled on it's side and really looked in under it.By the time I got the sled to where I could load it onto a truck to get it home the axle had flopped around enough to take out the lower chaincase seal and bearing plus the pto side bearing,luckily it didn't do any major damage to the chaincase.

Back