NGK Spark Plugs, BR9ES vs BR9ECS and BR9ECS-5

FOR GODS SAKE RUN THE RIGHT PLUG!!!! Br9es!!! And gap to spec on the clutch cover, this is not rocket science! The bonus is its cheaper and right. These OEM engines have huge tolerances and will not know the difference what plug you put in there for the most part.

Wait what plug should he run? I know you guys said BR9ES several times and its written on the sled but I think he's on to something here. He's on something for sure....

Seriously though this post made me chuckle.

Guys, come on, relax. I wouldn't have asked the question if my dealer didn't say I should use the ECS, as well as another mechanic I used on the sled (who had ECS in there). The question was really around gaps since the printed material didn't match the actual measurements I needed. Maybe you guys are all smarter than me when it comes to the affect a plug and/or its gap can have on the engine, but I just wanted to make sure I was ok with what I got, since I really don't feel like making another round trip back to return them.

I'm assuming this is for your 04 viper...in my manual for my 2000 srx it says to use ecs. I use es plugs because they are about $10 cheaper EACH! $3 for your standard es plug. That's why I use es plugs. I use br9es in my 340 as well...it's a standard plug that most yammies take...we're just havin a lil fun!:letitsnow

Last edited:
LOL. thanks. I'll just use what I bought (ECS) as I don't feel like going back. No harm will occur. Next time maybe I'll just use the regular plug.

Its extremely difficult for everyone to agree regarding any subject on this forum so here goes. Recommending .018 is just plain wrong. Yamaha designed the engine with CDI, Stator, coil and plug to operate with .028 -.030
Sorry guys. Im feeling grumpy.

Yes is takes less energy to jump.....
Yes its true much higher compression wont like......
Ski Doo two stroke engine principals the same.....
Ski Doo ignition system different. You can bet on it.
Will the engine run different. yes.
---Mac---

I would put money on it that you will not notice any difference on how it runs. With .018,.028,ecs,es,or eya. The only place you might notice is on the dyno. I forgot just because Yamaha specifies it you must abide.

Back