Yamaha phazer timing marks on stator and case question

Phazerst

Hello
I am curious about the timing on a stock phazer with a aaen quiet can pipe. This particular one is a 1986. Over the years it seams like every time you pull a stator you will find the screw marks and just reinstall the stator plate. But they all seam to be retarded according to the alignment marks on the case and the plate. In the service manual it says to align marks and install screws. So why did they all come from the factory set back when the manual states to ailign the pegs on the case and the plate? Will the timing be to advanced if I set my plate to the marks instead of using my old bolt marks?
Thanks Wayne

Usually setting back to the original marks is the safest bet. I'm wondering what you mean by retarded. Is your stator Mark left or right of the case Mark? On my phazer the stator plate mark is a little to the left of the case Mark, which would be counter clockwise. I think that would mean my timing is advanced. If it were to the right it would be retarded. I've rebuilt a few yamaha engines and they were all set like that and ran fine.

Actually never had any problem just mounting the stator where the old screw marks are. My curiosity is about how the Yamaha service manual shows you to line the peg on stator in between the two pegs on the case, but everyone I have ever seen is aligned clockwise to where the stator peg aligns to the clockwise peg. Which puts the top left screw towards the left of the slot on the plate

Back