Finally ready for winter!

Backwoods M Max

Who would have thought that closing on a house in November and having a child due in February would cut into your sled prep time, but I finally got the mountain Max ready for gas tomorrow.

She was fogged, carbs cleaned and drained this spring so it's dump in the gas and go time.

I got the electric start pulled out. It's a little tricky to get the bottom bolt without lifting the motor but I got it done. There's another 10lbs out of the front end. I managed to track down an SLP adjustable push mount and put that on with the clutch out as well.

I put my primary back together on the bench since it was off to pull the ring gear. I will never work on a primary in the sled again, maybe a spring change but that's it.

After a long summer of staring at the EZ Ryde skid and having to change the main spring and front bushings this fall it's finally ready for snow. I am so excited to ride this thing that I can't wait. Literally just have to sleep through the night. I was pumped to find a gas station in the next town over from the new house that has ethanol free 91! I have run it off a quart can direct to the fuel pump before to fog it and it seems like a caged animal, I am excited to see how it runs on some jungle juice and get away from the Obamagas.

Last edited:

Clutch came off ok, got the ring gear off and all the recalibrated clutch parts in. First round with the w-s-w spring was a little soft. switched to the w-g-w and I like the engagement and curve, but max rpm is just a little low. I think I'll try going back to a 3.6 rivet in the tip and see if I get the couple hundred rpm back. Installed a SLP adjustable push mount, Amsteel pull start rope and resealed the pipe donuts with copper high temp rtv. She sounds great and runs great. It just sounds happier on that 91 gas with no ethanol. The ez ryde skid is awesome. The snow wasn't deep enough to really feel it out but I got a good idea just messing around in a field for testing. The main spring may need 1 more turn on preload but I'll have to see how it goes.
IMG_1116.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpgIMG_1121.jpgIMG_1124.jpgIMG_1125.jpg

Back