Boots.... what's a good choice?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
From the way my feet felt after getting back from my rider yesterday it's time for some new boots,and I've got two choices that I would like opinions on. Baffin Hurricanes or FXR Team boot. Both are rated to fairly cold temps, -70C/ -94F and -60C/-76F respectively. I want warm but also comfortable and easy to walk in, and am looking at the FXRs thinking they'd be easy to maneuver in and be warm enough. Thoughts?

I have FXR Backshifts, they are extremely warm, only boot I've ever had that kept my feet warm all day in sub zero temps. That said they are bulky, although comfy and easy to walk in. No experience with the models you have listed.

I looked at the backshift boot too but it's a bit more than I really want to spend,I know I shouldn't skimp on things like boots especially where my feet get cold really easily but I kind of have a budget of $200-250 and they are outside that by about $40. Prices for these boots are a bit higher up here and buying across the border is out right now where our dollar is dropping too far to make it a good deal.

Go with the ones with the boa system! Trust me. The convienence of just slipping on and kicking your boots off without laces is awsome.

Past 2 years ive been using my snowboard boots for cold days and insulated rubbers most of the time.

I looked at the backshift boot too but it's a bit more than I really want to spend,I know I shouldn't skimp on things like boots especially where my feet get cold really easily but I kind of have a budget of $200-250 and they are outside that by about $40. Prices for these boots are a bit higher up here and buying across the border is out right now where our dollar is dropping too far to make it a good deal.

I wouldn't pay $250-300 for boots either. I just got lucky, got mine on craigslist for $75 brand new in the box and fit me perfect.

well my favorite off trail boots need to be retired soon but 20 years is pretty good. sorell with 18" leather uppers. i am using a set of klims that i like but they took some break in to get comfortable. i do have a set of baffins but have not worn them enough yet to form an opinion. all i do know is when i get stuck, they is almost always water involved.

I ordered the Baffin Hurricanes,mostly on the Baffin reputation although I would like to have had the chance to at least try on a pair of FXRs but unfortunately there's no place close to me that carries much in the way of stock.From the looks of the weather it'll be a while before I can try these boots out,the rain and mild temps ruined what snow cover we had.

I use Klim Radium GTX. A little heavy and take some getting used to but never had a cold foot. My only complaint is the "inner" boot has a hard tongue that the top edge presses on my shins when crouching an such. I never heard of what you ordered so I will be waiting for a review.

I have FXR Backshifts, they are extremely warm, only boot I've ever had that kept my feet warm all day in sub zero temps. That said they are bulky, although comfy and easy to walk in. No experience with the models you have listed.

I gotta look these boots up. I have the bibs and jacket.

I ended up ordering the Baffin Hurricane boots.I ordered a size 11 but I find that they are a bit small for an 11 and I should've sent them back for a 12.They are incredibly stiff and I'm hoping they will break in a bit,especially along the backs because they don't bend much yet.I find when I sit on my sled,SRX, with my toes shoved up in the foot wells I have a hard time to get my legs and knees bent at a comfortable angle.The backs are so still that they press into my calves and tend to almost force me to pull forward on the seat.

Right now I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake keeping these boots,to me they seem designed more for a rider forward sled where your sitting upright with the knees at a more relaxed angle.

Back