108 comet clutch help/question

pete72

might sound like a stupid question but my 108 was really noisy so i replaced the worn weights. that took care most of the noise but now im thinking im missing some bumpers in behind the movable sheave just behind where the weights are. i can move my weights back and fourth and there is no way in my mind that's right there is no tension on them. heres a few pics where you can see nubs for some sort of bumper but i have not located any of the such in any diagrams. i'd be interested to here what everyone thinks. trying to keep this bandaged up then buy a p85 next season.comet 001.jpgcomet 002.jpgcomet 003.jpgcomet 004.jpgcomet 005.jpg

I'll take a look at mine in the morning and report back. Im guessing you hear the rattle at idle?? I think it may be because your shimmed for the 1-1/4" belt and there is a lot of room between the rollers and the arms.

Your not missing anything. It's just as it came new.
Your spider is shimmed to far away for your weights. Not a big deal, likely been that way a long time

thanks toydoc for confirming. its the clutch it came with and is what it is for this year i guess. that probably helped wear the weight holes out pre mature also but then again its probably been on there most of its life and now is just short of 4000 miles. i wonder why they just didn't install the 1 1/4 belt 108? maybe just installed what they had at the time or didn't know any different. i suppose i could throw on a 88r secondary like throttle junkie35 said before and run a 1 3/8 belt and remove the shims on this primary.

Back