need some opinions

NHMM700

So it started with speedo not working, now I have taken it apart I have found more and more. Trying to keep this to a limited budget for an older sled. Is it worth just putting a new bearing on this driveshaft and seeing how long it will go? The end of shaft has some scoring in it. The secondary clutch has some weird grooving / Melting that went on at some point. It seems as if when belt was fully dropped it must have gotten very hot and wore / melted clutch faces. Has anyone seen this before? Again do I just sand out imperfections and throw it back together and hope for best? Or do I look to pick up used drive shaft (in good condition) and a used secondary that doesn't have this problem? thanks for help everyone.
Dan

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto.jpg

Looks like the inner race spun on the shaft. Regardelss how well the new bearing fits to it, I would replace the shaft. If you lost ballbearings and the shaft ran cocked, I'd replace the chain case bearing and have a close look at the chain and gears too.

Shafts with drivers are fairly cheap and plentiful on eBay. Keep an eye out for 00 and up with the hardened axle shaft.

Where in NH do you ride btw? I'm in NH now myself.

Backwoods, I am in Londonderry but ride pretty much anywhere in NH and in western maine. will ride from sno slickers clubhouse when snow. usually will start from Boscawen or Plymouth rumney area otherwise. How about yourself.

I was riding out of vermont the past few years. Bought a house in Monroe Nh this year and moving up in the spring. Looking to find new places and new people to go back country riding with. My Mtn Max is all about the deep stuff now, I have a 136" indy SKS for trail riding.

I met somebody somebody who said there is some great back country in the Plymouth area, I'd love to find it.

Back