How long will my Engine last?

Joe SixPack

I have a "00 SXR with just over 6k on it. It has 117-119 in the cylinders. I have run Amsoil since after breakin.
How long before I should do a ring and piston job on her. I do not want to be left out in the boonies some night.

Ive heard of Yammie triples having 15,000 miles on them and still going strong.
I know of someone who has an '80 Polaris TXL Indy that his dad bought brand new in 1980. 24,000 miles and still going strong. Last summer he pulled the motor apart to check it. Not only did everything measure out within specs, but the cylinder walls still had the hone marks on them that was done at the factory where the engine was assembled!
I wouldnt be worried. Yamaha has some of the best sled engines there are, so have fun and dont worry about it!
Hebi

Yea i wouldn't be too worried about the rings on there, as long as it is running good. Yamaha rings seem to last a LONG time, and the rings that are in there are properly seated to the honing in the cylinders, so they probably seal just fine. On my 97 sx 700, there was barely ANY blowby on the pistons after 6 thousand miles, so the rings stayed. You can check the end gap if you are worried about it. I had more of a problem with piston skirts than rings on my sx, but that was because of a previous owner's overrev situation.

my "97 700 has almost 8000 mi on it and my compression is still at factory specs, and I haven't had any problems with motor at all. One of the guys I ride with has a "98 700 SRX that just hit 10000 mi our last trip, he's had it since it was brand new and hasn't had to touch it yet. :yam:

I got over 10000 miles on my baby with pipes.... still runs like it came out of the factory! Don't worry about rings! them motors are bullet proof!

I know of some yamies with 15000Km and never touched anything in the motor. I would not worry about it considering compression is still ok.

my 1997 700SX has 18 000 km on it , no mods, never touched anything on the engine and it's still going strong !!!
I have always used Castrol regular oil, i have adjusted the oil pump cable to get a little bit more oil and that's about it ....... oh and when it's really cold outside i add a few ounces of oil in my gas tank .... so far it looks like a good receipe !
In 20 years of riding i have blown only one engine ... it was a Rotax..... !
I would not hurry to change the rings

Ya never know,mine thru a connecting rod bearing last weekend.I think it was the lack of fogging by the previous owner.

I average 4 seasons and 15-18K on each Yamaha I've owned for 20 years and never opened any of them. Don't worry about it for some time yet. As far as the bearing failure if they're not stored right you will definately have problems with any engine regardless of miles. Otherwise seems pretty unanimous that you're go to go.

yes you definately want to fog these engines for summer storage, or you will have some crank problems on your hands no doubt

You could check the compression once in a while but I wouldn't worry about it. Keep up with scheduled maintenance and you SHOULD be fine for a long time still. But like anything....you never know when a part will finally give out.
Tom

could very well be a weak stator. If its a '97, they were a little more problematic with this.

Back