700SX w PSI pipes - plug fouling-help again

Tod

VIP Member
Could my plug fouling issue go away just by lowering my needles one position??

Ok not to be a broken record but I am still trying to figure this out. I usually foul two or three plugs at the begining of each day of riding. Now last time i did foul two plugs on friday morning but none on sat. Temps do not seem to matter as this happens at 30 degrees or like last time it was negative 5 or 16 depending on who who you talked to that morning. Anyway after I foul a plug or three it will run great the rest of the day. oil usage is more than friends SRX's but the same as since I bought the sled and I have leaned it out a bit.

I have a 97 700SX with PSI pipes, I'm cluched at 9100-9200 with 8BF weights empty with an Orang pink orange primary spring. secondary is a 50/44 dalton helix with stock green spring @ 70. My jetting is 143.5 in all three with 47.5 pilots. My needles are still in the stock position and my fuel screws are at 1.5 turns out. I think my fuel screws should be at 2.5 turns out but have not noticed a difference and my pilots are suppost to be stock or 45's.

The ride before this one I did a compression check and it was 80 100 100. This last trip I check compression again and it was 125 in all three. 6500 miles on the sled, motor has never been apart, stock head gasket. clean carbs.

Tod :o| :o| :o| ;):D

Forgot to mention how bad my gas milage is too. Around 7.5 - 8. miles per gallon. I dont baby it but I'm not thrashing it either.

Tod

ok -one more thing, i could not find my instructions from PSI but Seanmurphy just installed PSI's on his 700SX and said that the PTO needle stays in the stock position but the other two change. The PTO cylinder is the one that fouls the most.......??????????????

when you start it, make sure that you DO NOT hit the throttle AT ALL until it is warmed up, running for AT LEAST 5 minutes, or you will always foul plugs.

Yama22,
Yes you are correct, I do not touch the throttle for at least that long.

Tod

Tod said:
Could my plug fouling issue go away just by lowering my needles one position??

Ok not to be a broken record but I am still trying to figure this out. I usually foul two or three plugs at the begining of each day of riding. Now last time i did foul two plugs on friday morning but none on sat. Temps do not seem to matter as this happens at 30 degrees or like last time it was negative 5 or 16 depending on who who you talked to that morning. Anyway after I foul a plug or three it will run great the rest of the day. oil usage is more than friends SRX's but the same as since I bought the sled and I have leaned it out a bit.

I have a 97 700SX with PSI pipes, I'm cluched at 9100-9200 with 8BF weights empty with an Orang pink orange primary spring. secondary is a 50/44 dalton helix with stock green spring @ 70. My jetting is 143.5 in all three with 47.5 pilots. My needles are still in the stock position and my fuel screws are at 1.5 turns out. I think my fuel screws should be at 2.5 turns out but have not noticed a difference and my pilots are suppost to be stock or 45's.

The ride before this one I did a compression check and it was 80 100 100. This last trip I check compression again and it was 125 in all three. 6500 miles on the sled, motor has never been apart, stock head gasket. clean carbs.

Tod :o| :o| :o| ;):D
sounds a lil lean to me for psi"s i know you should be at 2 turns on the fuel screws ,at the very least! pilots might have to go back to stock. You need to try br9eya's . I used to foul my sx out all the time ...went to br9eyas ...and never fouled out another one!.... just somethin to look at. You do need to raise the needles, psi's like the fuel.

Yammy,
I will try the other plugs.

I was thinking I needed to lower the needles.
Or have been wondering if i have a oil pump issue too.

Tod

check for stuck choke first, fuel screws second (1.5 turns to 2.25 turns is fine) and third you never touch the throttle on warm up. Full choke pull till it pops, no choke pull once it should start, feather the choke untill it will just barely run on it's own and let it warm up. You have some tiny jets in there so I doubt needles are the issue at all. Your pilots might be a problem (but I don't know what them pipes want) I think I am running 47.5 pilots on mine with 150 mains. Needles are at 3M/4C/3.5P the center and PTO run hotter so I run them richer. My mileage was also in the trash after I did all this stuff. I would get it running right before solving the mileage thing. You should call the pipe mfg. and get the real specs on them pipes. Also, get a good compression tester and re-test. If you at 80-100-100 that will not give you a complete burn and could cause your problems. If your gauge was spot on you would have to explain the different reading to me. That is why I say try a different gauge. Doug

Doug,
That is how I do the warm up. Just as you said with the enrichener.

Updated choke springs installed at the beginning of the season when I went through the carbs.

My two different times of checking the compression go like this.

First time rode to the dealer and they did it with me. Three pulls with full throttle and other two plugs in. 80,100,100. I myself have never done it with only three pulls but I guess just as long as you do it the same in all three.

second time I did it myself with a snap on gage, pulled about 5-7 times full throttle, plugs in the other two holes, 125 all three. ??????????? Maybe a stuck ring that let loose.

Still fouls plugs at the beginning of the day always about 1 mile from the house and then maybe three miles later another, then may be good for the rest of the entire day. Sled rund great other than fouling a plug every now and then at the start of the day. Will havg with the SRX's.

Tod

hey i have the directions. sorry it took me so long tod. uh do you need the settings again? or what do you want? i know that the fuel screw should be 2 3/4 to 3 off the top of my head with the jets at 142.5 needle setings are...PTO stock which is setting #3 CENTER AND MAG should be at #4. this is jetting for -5 to 30 F. oh and mine does stay reved when i stop. anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks Sean,
I think the idle hang up is something you have to live with or just get used to fliping the choke. I think this is common on the vipers with pipes too.

And yes I give it a touch of throttle when warm also. Even after getting a bite to eat I only give it half choke and throttle.

Tod

alright thanks again. and those are the settings that MAXX PERF and PSI recommended. my fuel screw is at 2 3/4 i would recommend at 3. mine is running a tad lean no big deal. but this summer i am going to take the thing apart and check everything and put my fuel screw to 3 just to be safe. Mine did foul some plugs but not recently, i think that it was from riding in a foot of powder all day and having it be 40 degrees out. other then that i cant complain.

does anyone know what that is??? my sled does that too,when i get off the gas and come to a stop it will idel at 3000rpm for 3-6 seconds and then go back down to normal.(just wondering) not to get off the topic,sorry.

Spoon,
Its a lean spot caused by the pipes. Flipping the choke richens it up and brings down the idle.

Tod

even a lot of single piped yammi triples do it, but you are correct it is a lean spot in the fuel flow.

Back