Suspension help?

Kodman

I have a 01 yamaha mountian max 700 with a 151 x 2 in the rear, what is the best set up for all of the suspension to climb better in the mountians

While climbing you want limiter straps in to keep skis down and aproach angle good. Riding backcountry, strap out allowing a little more ski lift. On the front depending if you want to side hill go with less preload or strictly climb keep stiff for more stability. What im spewing is what ive been told. Some people like their sleds set up different.

search the site for the proaction tuning video or manual. first thing you want to do is set your control rods(transfer rods). once you set that gap, take the front skid shock and crank up the pre-load to the highest setting. let your limiter straps all the way out within spec, loosen the rear skid shock to the softest setting and put the fra at neutral(b).

take it out and test it. if it trenches, bring the front limiters in a bit. you will have to play with this a bit to find the sweet spot. fra maybe to the A setting. play with it. once you think you have the suspension dialed, think about your clutch engagement. half the problem with the mtn maxes and trenching is the engagement is too high and spins the track. reduce engagement by changing springs.

if you dont know what trenching is, thats where the track digs prior to propelling the sled. basically digging a hole(trench) prior to moving. most commonly associated with ill tuned suspensions and too high clutch engagement.

When I still had a proaction skid I had the limiter straps pulled up to the highest setting I think 35mm and the front shock preload full soft. That will help flatten the approach angle of the skid while getting up on the snow. It was just about the only setup that worked.

Back