Old stuff or Vintage stuff, either way no payments.

alswagg

VIP Member
Is it just me or does anyone else have this delima? Our sleds are older, I never thought of them as old, but they are the older chassis, ie paid for in full also. My Shop we have two shop trucks, very nice condition but older and again paid for. Many miles on each one also. As for the cabin equipment, two very old 1970's Wheel horse tractors, both 20 hp D series loader backhoe, and other with implements ranging from blowers to plows to cultivators. I guess the point I am making, I like the older stuff, easy to work on, prices are very reasonable, and they get the job done. We work on boats from the 60's to brand new 2015 models. I could not imagine paying over 100 grand for a boat, but hey, they do, and we fix them just a much as the boats from the 80's. Everything needs maintenance. well enough ramblining I guesss. Al

I'm with you on that. My phazer is 24 years old and not much into it, my summit is 11 years old and paid for too. My truck is an 03 and my wifes car is an 05 and both are paid for as well. Even my camp is debt free, the only payment I have is my house and I have a lot of equity there. My general rule is if I can't pay cash for it I can't afford it. I have no need to have the latest and greatest and all the debt that comes with it.

I have been looking for another sled, the prices have been falling for the Nytro's. I just don't see the value in buying a brand new anything, especially since I like to personalize everything I have. I guess that is the engineer in me. Anyway, hopefully this spring a few more Nytro XTX will become available. Al

The only way I'd buy new is if they had some killer end of year deals with big rebates. Poo has some great buys right now, I could get a brand new Pro RMK 600 ho ES 155 for $8k. Not a Polaris guy but those Pro's sure are light and handle well. Unfortunately I won't be buying a new Yamaha unless they get serious about building a solid 2 stroke mountain sled, but I don't see that happening. I'm happy with my old iron though, heck I just bought a 95 Venture today with only 2000 miles on it for $200.

I never really looked into the poos around here but the yamahas are still high. Arctic cat has a bunch of 2013-14 brand new ones for sale at a local dealer but not much cheaper then the newest ones but they're a bunch of crooks with alot of nice sleds. Some of these things are going for $15k! I would go up to $4500 for where I ride. 6 years is as new is I can go.

I feel the same way you do Al. I have a lot of older items that are bought, paid for, well maintained and in most cases are in like new condition. I have a 1981 Jonsereds 70e chainsaw which I bought brand new with the intention of it lasting many years. I cut about 20 cords of firewood a year, every year with that saw and it has hardly a mark on it and still runs perfect. My sleds are all older models: 1994 Vmax 4 (bought new) 2000 SRX (bought new), 2003 RX-1 (bought new) and 2 sleds I bought used: 2000 SRX and 1993 Exciter. I absolutely enjoy everything about the 2000 SRX sled: ride, performance, handling, power, looks. I enjoy working on the SRX sleds as much as riding them. I simply cannot justify spending the $14 - $16k on a new Yamaha sled. That is just so much money for something I will use at the most for three ten day trips a year. I'll keep the 03 RX-1 in top shape as my sled for saddlebag trips since with the declining quality of gasoline, it will be harder to get the proper gas along the trail to prevent a "melt-down". I enjoy the ability to work on and tune the older sleds without requiring expensive computer and software tools. Just me, I like old-school equipment.

Jim

agreed. I would love an apex, and the prices on an 06-07 are getting pretty reasonable around here. still have my 03 viper, finally have saved enough cash away to get it back together. on a side note, good to see you on again Jim! almost vertain it was you that knew Vince and the guys at Pittsburg Motorsports. sure miss them!

Viperguy, what work does your 03 Viper need to get it running again? engine rebuild, suspension rebuild? Hang onto that 03 Viper!!!! Great sled. Whenver I have some spare cash and find a good deal, i have been buying replacement parts for my 2000 SRX. I want to keep a good inventory of parts to keep it running for a long-time.

I was up your way during bike week in June. I go to the Laconia event every year. Last year I took a ride around the big lake and stopped at the general store in Alton Bay, I used to buy my NH tral passes every year from that place when a good friend had a house in Alton Bay.

I bet this winter with the amount of snow in NH, you could ride from Alton right up to the Quebec border!!!

Jim

Jim, I lost the crank bearing in it a few years back, got some rust in there. Not sure if you remember Darrin from pittsurg Motorsports, but he is wrenching up there again for himself. Going to be my go to for when I get everything gathered together pretty soon here. I will be ready to go next season, barring some MAJOR catastrophe. We actually rode from alton to Pittsburg a few years back, could have done it this year again for sure! Great to hear from you again, been a while!

Back