XTC 600 twin - grooved crank bearing and housing

Whew! Was starting to wonder haha! My previous post about the bearing and ring is in regards to the two crank bearings on the PTO side; they both have stopper rings on them. When I pulled my case halves apart, I recall the stopper ring gaps weren't oriented on the bearings in relation to the bottom case alignment pin holes as recommended by my tech manual.

During reassembly of my motor, I just plain overlooked this and cannot remember how those rings are situated. So I guess I'm wondering how big of a deal that is? Obviously the rings help to align the bearings and crank, but do the gaps HAVE to be positioned downward towards the bottom case pin for purposes of oiling or something like that? I'd post another photo, but feel I've put a lot on the thread already.

Lemme know what you think. Thanks PMaine!

Last edited:
That's something I overlooked during my engine rebuild. I have 500 miles on it now with no sign of problems... curious what others say.

I believe you would be fine, as long as the majority of the gap is in one case half or the other. You wouldnt want one end in the top and the other in the bottom. That ring helps keep the crank from "walking".

Okay, glad to hear that. So the rest of my Vmax overhaul is going well! Last night I removed and straightened my rear bumper. It had a nasty kink and amazingly I got it trued up & removed the kink 100% by showing it some love with a hammer. I removed the seat and gas tank to clean the tunnel, but my right side seat snaps were rusted pretty bad and one broke.. It'll be an easy fix. While the tank was off, I replaced the fuel filter.. holy chit was the old one baaad. Admittedly I've never replaced it, so needless to say the paper filter media was almost black. While doing this I dropped my stainless steel hook tool in the tank:o| Getting it out was a beeotch and a waste of 30 minutes. Anyway, with a clean tunnel, clean tank, clean seat, clean oil/coolant tanks, and a basic spit shine to my steering gate, everything went back together quickly. The motor is set, clutches aligned, and everything is torqued down. Now just waiting for a new fairing and some random parts from a few other members I bought parts off.

Ah.. there's the old rebuild thread :)
I'm happy to report that when I was back on my farm in SD over Christmas that the ole Yammy XTC is runnin' strong and FAST! I hadn't run it since 5-2015, so when I pulled it outta the shed 12-2016, I made sure the air box was clean, filled the carb bowls via my variflow tubes, cleaned the plugs, and pulled the rope 6 times and it was running :D

I let it warm up for a good 15 mins and then made a few mid throttle passes by the driveway, then did a couple WOT 1/4 mile passes in a field and she still rips! All in all I rode for only an hour or so, but it was great knowing this sled runs as well as it does.

Anyway, I left it back on the farm for my dad to take out once and a while to putt around on if he wants. Thinking about selling it though.

It sits in a shed 99% of the time now.. My Dad very likely won't ride it either. I completely refurbished skid, replaced all the bearings, put on a new track, and rebuilt the motor. Maybe it would be cool to still have around and be able to ride 20 years from now, but I'm not dead set on keeping it.

Back