88 Phazer runs like it has a rev limiter

phazerdeelux

I have a 1988 Phazer has been a great running sled in all original condition for 2 years. A day ago I was out riding and it bogged badly while riding it. It had bogged for a while in the past and fixed it one day by adjusting the air fuel screws. I adjusted them again and it didn't help. I had read about tors so I unconnected them from carb and reconnected together to bypass it. Ran great for the rest of the day until it starting having a weird miss that I think is related to the bypassing of tors. When I apply heavy throttle or whenever I go full throttle it misses/skips like it has a rev limiter. I can feather it up to almost full but when I go the last bit to full it skips like a rev limiter. If I go full from a stop it misses/rev limits heavily and won't accelerate and headlight dims a little leading me to believe electrical. I'm stumped it ran great, it was all of a sudden. Please help season is winding down.

does it happen at a certain rpm? buddy has a 92 venture with the phazer 485 in it. runs nice and snappy until about 5k rpm, then it just stops revving. tried a bunch of things, just cant get it straightened out

It has a mountain bar setup where I ditched the odometer so I have no way of knowing exact rpms. It doesn't happen at one set its at all different rpms. It varies.. And about the ground wire, could anything bad happen by doing that, its a deluxe so it has electric start and I don't want to mess up my starter or battery by doing anything risky.

Adding a ground wire will do no harm. The engine needs to be grounded to the frame, and as the sleds age they start to lose the connection to the frame. The Phazers are known for that problem. It may not be the cause, but it often is, and is a simple enough thing to do. If it is worse when the hand warmers are turned on- that is the problem.

As for the Venture, are the rubber carb plugs in the right holes?

I unhooked battery on my 1992 venture and fixed my bogging upon acceleration .
Update. Electric start motor was problem causing. I unhooked solenoid to disconnect electric start.

Last edited:
I have a 91 and having the same problem,I get to 4000rpm and it won't go anymore,tried everything,is their a govener or limiter on these machines?

My 92 Venture w/ a 480 wouldn't rev above 3400 rpm. The rubber plugs above the carburetor floats were dropping down. Replaced all 4 (2 in each carb) ... revs like a raped ape now.

Back