DIY ice scratchers

Im kinda nervous about drilling an all plastic ski... but seemed pretty rugged so we will see how it holds up....costed about $10.00 total

I think some kind of collar over the bolt on the inside of ski would prevent the ski just pinching together when tightening the bolt would help. Or is there 1 there? Like a piece of 3/8" pipe or tube or something. Why does the hole need to be tapped and not just a 3/8 hole? Do those things really help all that much on glare ice?

Last edited:
Very nice work!!! Excellent idea and implementation. I have been wanting to do this for years, the scratchers definitely help on extreme hard-pack trails.

I think some kind of collar over the bolt on the inside of ski would prevent the ski just pinching together when tightening the bolt would help. Or is there 1 there? Like a piece of 3/8" pipe or tube or something. Why does the hole need to be tapped and not just a 3/8 hole? Do those things really help all that much on glare ice?

from everything I have seen and read, scratchers help preserve hyfax and aid the cooling process on icy days. I thought about a spacer on the bolt between the side walls of the ski, but when I bolted it down, the ski didn't even flex. I initially thought the ski was a hollow core and that's why I was worried, but when I drilled the hole its solid all the way through. the bushing is not tapped, may have used the wrong verbiage on the post sorry. just a hole big enough to fit the 5/16 bolt through.

**********UPDATE************

pro:

was out riding just the other day with these scratchers and when I had them down, they seemed to help with cooling....trail conditions were somewhat icy spring trails...temps were low 30s. so they seem effective...

con:

storage location is finicky....the left scratcher kept popping out of storage on its own. further more, when attempting to store the scratcher, it snapped right at the spring. I think the issue is that when storing, im pulling at an angle that the sping is not ment to go (right to left) causing material fatigue.

Back