Project: Yamabishi

J_hubbs

Hello all! It has been a while since my last Yamaha build (project 04 Viper S). This Yamaha redhead powered vehicle will be a little different than the norm....

Our goal is to power a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion with a Yamaha 700. Why you ask?

We will be racing it in the 24hours of LeMons series. A budget road racing series where the max car value (minus saftey equip) is $500ish. A group out west has done this to a Mazda (Named Balto Miata). There are many videos on Youtube of it. It is actually very fast.

Our plan includes striping the car down as light as we can get it, installing the heart of a lion (700 with pipes), and running the secondary on the driveshaft.

Sounds stupid and or crazy? It is!;)!

I will be posting progress, pictures, and questions. Please feel free to help with advice or stay tuned for endless entertainment! Pictures will begin tonight.

Code Name: YamaBishi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOSSTLVsnEY

I would imagine some type of radiator to cool it down. That does sound sweet. Did not look like there was a lot of competition. Looks like a lot of fun.

As far as engine mounting goes. Would you:

1. Use the existing engine mounts and align the engine as if it was in a sled? (slightly angled, but will become parallel when power is applied)

2. Use a bracket to keep the center to center similar to my Viper S

3. Solid mount the engine to a custom adjustable engine plate.

Think belt life vs clutching efficiency here.

Way cool idea. Roller bearing motor will rev like mad. Oil injected ? Racing fuel will keep the motor cool. Wow that has me thinking !!!

And the donor sled....
IMG_0727.jpgIMG_0726.jpg
I dont usually like to cut stuff off a donor vehicle, but this thing was wasted!
IMG_0019.jpg
A circlip came out a piston, trashing a cyl.

A few pics from the Balto Miata. This is before the Polaris blew up and they replaced it with a Redhead 700.

Notice how they mounted their driven clutch in reverse. Cool idea!

I intend to drive it similar. However I will extend the drive shaft past the K-Member, attatch the secondary to that, then the engine will be mounted longitudinally above it. This will put the belt in front of both the engine, and the car (better for clutch tuning and belt cooling). Basically my engine will be mounted 180 degrees from the picture.:2strokes:

terrific idea, LOVE it! always thought that was a cool race series. I will be following this build!

Do you set the center to center on the clutches same as sled to get the motor position?
Hey devilin, buy those, the you will have 2 sets. That seat looked awfully nice, some good parts left on that sled.

Back