600 Exciter

85phaznut

hey guys, i bought a 88 exciter 570 and a 87 parts sled for $400. the motor in the more complete one was apparently seized and wouldn't pull over. i pulled the motor out and realized the cross member was bent slightly so i decided to use the parts sled for my project, i also realized the motor wasn't seized the recoil was just stuck and got it running that day lol. i have a 98 vmax xtc 600 twin that i plan to put in the exciter. i think the 94-96 bolts right in pretty much and has a few more ponies but the 98 600 i have is super clean with only 1200 kms and for that reason imo its worth the extra work.
plans:
136" skid
tunnel extension
taller vmax pogos
plastic skis
taller bars
not sure what to do with fairing and light
custom seat
different running boards
IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0603.jpg

98 vmax 600 twin
IMG_0558.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0567.jpg
i would like to get an aftermarket can for it the stock one is pretty big and is real heavy. what do you guys think?
i stripped the 87 and set the new motor in just to get an ide of what i got to do.
IMG_0604.jpgIMG_0607.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0609.jpgyou cans see how different the rear mouts are and the mount on the motor is right at the steering post
IMG_0610.jpg

Last edited:
one big question i have is what is the best way to make sure my clutches are aligned properly? i do not have a primary clutch for the 600 motor, will the 570 work? if i use the stock 600 primary should i use the 570 secondary with it?

For the sake of eliminating any guess work and to give yourself a very good, if not spot on starting point for clutching I myself would find a 98ish Vmax 600 primary and an Exciter II secondary. It will be the best and easiest way to be in the ball park in the clutch dept.

Back