Now Im Pissed!!!

yami1

Dont know if some have read my post on fixer upper but have issues here .In case you dont know its a 97sx 700.Try to explain so this could be long. So just got another stator. This is my second one. So been doing lots of test on wiring trying to rule things out so this dont happen again. So tested continuity in ign wires hand warmers ign switch kill switch. All Have checked out. However found the left handwarmer had no continuity. It did workthough. So thought maybe this was problem. So went to my local used part guy. All he had was viper grips. So bought those handle bars and all. Put on sled. Tested out fine continuty in them and kill switch. Also found a pinched wire on green/white wire going into plug for cdi. So hooked everthing up fired up and all good except tach and gas gauge dont work. Now I might add that did work before but sometimes at idle it would not. However as soon as you got back on gas it would work again. Might add also that I put larger gauges in. However dont know what out of. But like I said worked before. Did search and mostly what comes up is rub threw. Checked under engine last year and rewrapped with tape and loom. Other is regulator rectifier or condenser. Ok im thinking maybe but is there way to test them. Tried to test condenser with my ohm meter. If i put black pin on red wire and black on red I had continuity. Other way red to red black to black I did not. This because of it switching it to dc for tach and gauge?? Any other way to test??? How can I test regulator rectifer. Unplugged plug under pad to head lights and tested off blue and yellow and had 11 volts at idle. Would this be correct test and does that seem low. Reved up and did come up a little. But never got twelve volts. Sorry so long just rying to cover it all. Any help greatly appreciated

electrical problems tend to scare guys.Seems like everyone ..or almost everyone lately is chasing some kind of electrical issues.Seems like the electrical end of these sleds Yamaha didn't do their homework.To many stories of issues with starting,lights not working,speedo/tach gone out/spark/no spark.wire rub thrus..etc.This seems to be a theme this season as the sleds get older.Hope you can solve your problem as it may take a lot of time to find the culprit.I know when I bought my SRX years back,tach wasn't working.Got a new one and still not.So I jumped a wire from the cdi to the tach plug and it worked.So wires can go anytime and are hard to trace.I just spliced the right wire from cdi and re routed new line to the tach plug and has been working 7 years now..so electrical can be a bit*h.Good luck and hope someone can chime in for you here.I am no electrical expert but can tell you be patient as it tends to get us pulling our hair from our heads basically.

Thanks for encouragement blue. Just spent another two hours out troubleshooting. Pulled complete harness out untaped about everything and found nothing. Have good continuity in wires that run tach. On my sx it doesnt directly go to cdi. According to wire diagram and my investigating confirms it it goes tocondenser and rectifier and somehow threw key switch. So thinking its condenser or rectifier. Only getting 11.20 volts off blue wire for headlights. Should be 12 or more I believe. Someone confirm this for me.

not sure where the hell my post goes ...but u shouldn't be able to run those grips warmer on your sled ..they don't work on the same current ...the one u got ac and viper run on dc

Its hard to help you on your problem because you don't have the stock gauges. This adds to new twist that most people do not have personal expeirence with.
You mentioned you put in a second stator. Are these new stators or used?. On my old sled (same as yours) I went thru 3 used stators until finally buying a new one. Solved my issues which were poor performance and starting problems.
Condensers only hold a charge and then release its charge when the voltage drops below the condenser's voltage. The only way I know to test that is hook up the power lead to a sparkplug and crank the engine a few revs. Remove from sparkplug and if you are brave enough touch both ends. Should give you a good jolt in your hand.
As far as the regulator/rectifier goes you need to test the diode bridge inside. If I remember correctly these things are a sealed electronic regulators, so that will be pretty tough to do.
Did you ohm out the Viper grips. To make the system work properly the grips that you use have to be the same ohms resistance as the Sx grips.
Your system voltage seems to be low. At idle I would say that 11 volts would be fine. At 4000rpm it should be well above 12 volts. I remember mine having 13.5 to 14 volts at that rpm.
Do a check of all the grounds. Make sure each ground has a good clean connection.Bad grounds can play havoc in the electrical system.
The best way to trouble shoot some of these parts would be to swap out the parts from a known good running sled that has no issues.
Unfortunately there is no magic fix in electrical problems. I encourage you to keep plugging along and you will find the culprit.
Keep us posted in your findings. ;)!

I believe the 2000 up hand warmers are different then the earlier grips and designed to work with the higher out put stators of the twin headlight sleds.
Try disconnecting the grip warmers and see what you get for voltage.

well the hand warmers from viper do work. Tested ohms on viper grip and have about 1.8 ohms on each. Tested the one old grip that is good and had 3 ohms. I did try unhooking the grips and still nothing , unhooked lights and nothing. got a regulator and condenser off a xtc 600 that I know is good and nothing. Checked the part numbers and the same. So im lost. Only thing left to change is tach. Have the original big gauge that I put in before I crashed it last winter. Just have to expoxy a hole in it from crash. Thought about the whole ground thing to. But I have a dumb question Where is main ground. I know there is one on clutch side by gas tank but is there more than that???

By the way these two stators were used. This last one came off what looked to be a very clean looking engine. Watched Justin take out. Ohmed out like a new one. So I dont know. I think this tach came from like a 98 or 99 srx. Which I have read will not work. But why did it work??? Gonna try this other tach and see what happens. That dont work then I guess I will use it for target practice. LOL. Guess my next question is how does tach get its signal?? I mean the wiring diagram shows brown from tach to ign. key. Red to rectifer. Then looks like yellow to cdi. That correct or am i smokin crack

Last edited:
tach work from pulse from the pick up coil ...maybe your tach is bad ...98-99 should work ..not 2000 and up..i don't have the 97sx manual can't help its start in 98 ....probably a ground or a positive that feed both of them .....if u can show me the diagram I will help u out

blue the pulse signal ,brown bring the power and black the ground...this is for a 98 srx .....if u think its a ground just ground the gauge ....its not gonna be the signal from the pick up coil ....that would not effect the gaz gauge ...its the power or ground ...I can't tell the color of your wiring I can't find the diagram for it

Last edited:
Ok thanks mod, gives me more to try. Here is a thought. what about the key switch. Could this maybe go bad?? I never heard of that happening. But with me anything is possible. Try other tach tomorrow and see whats up. If that dont work will try grounding it. Thanks for your input. Hopefully gonna finally snow around here this week.Trails been closed around here for couple weeks now so wanna ride

i don't think its gonna be the key switch since the sled works ....if u can post the diagram somewhere that would help me alot

Will try your suggestions first and if that dont work i will try to figure out a way to post a wire diagram

only 3 wire can't be a pain in the a ss ...or unhook the connector and check the ac voltage there ...start the engine and u should have 1 wire with 12 volt something around and a ground ..let me know ..ground the voltmeter on the ground wire and the positive on the live wire... not the pulse one

well Iv tried so much stuff my head is spinning. Let me try to break down. first I tried grounding tach in sled. Hooked alligator clip to ground screw on gauge and clipped other end to bolt that holds bumper. nothing. unplugged harness to lights and tach. Used volt meter on ac voltage. Have 11.90 volts when I put red probe on blue and black on black (ground). If i go brown to red probe and black to black i had around 4 volts. According to my wire diagram in my service manual brown, blue , green/black (fuel gauge) and black are only wires for tach. Blue on this is for lights for tach. Have a wire harness from other tachs From srx and yes a bit different. For whatever reason where leads go into tach brown goes to light for tach. However where screws go into back of tach for operating tach I assume .Both tachs have a blue lead and brown lead. Only diff. like I said before is on other harness brown went to tach light. On my harness on sled blue goes to tach light. So I took my other large tach that i orignally had in and tried a few things. Set tach on air box and hooked everthing up to harness. nothing. Unplugged the plug to ign switch. hooked gator clip to brown on tach. brown on wire harness and clipped ground on tach to bolt for reverse linkage. NOTHING. Clipped brown on tach to red on wire harness since this comes out of rectifer nothing. Tried blue to red on wire harness ,zip and lights on tach didnt work. other way they did. Only thing I might add is that I tried a voltage test off red wire coming from rectifer upto plug for ign, switch and had like .165 volts. Tried other rectifer that I have and same. With rectifer unplugged had about 4 volts. After all this could it just be a bad spot in this stator I just got??? Everything ohms out as far as source coils go. But everything worked before. Im confused. And since its presidents day Ive started drinking. Maybe have a aphiny and fix this thing lol. Any other ideas out there??????????????????????

Last edited:
IMG_20130218_135338_zps4ebbc67f.jpg
Tried taking pic of wiring diagram dont know how it will work but all I could think off

well just ohmed the stator again and all checks out. got nervous at first cause couldnt get a reading. Must not of had probes in good. Only place I can find a ground is by gas tank on clutch side. Is that only place??? Pretty much have had this apart from ground up and dont recall another but I tend to forget. Any other ideas guys. I dont know what else to do...Mr Viper, BETHEVIPER, are you out there????No offense MOD. appreciate your input. Gonna walk away for a bit and return the condenser and rectifer I took off my buddys sled since it seems thats not it.

Back