Now Im Pissed!!!

does the lightning in the tach work and the tail light ??

yami1 said:
well Iv tried so much stuff my head is spinning. Let me try to break down. first I tried grounding tach in sled. Hooked alligator clip to ground screw on gauge and clipped other end to bolt that holds bumper. nothing. unplugged harness to lights and tach. Used volt meter on ac voltage. Have 11.90 volts when I put red probe on blue and black on black (ground). If i go brown to red probe and black to black i had around 4 volts. According to my wire diagram in my service manual brown, blue , green/black (fuel gauge) and black are only wires for tach. Blue on this is for lights for tach. Have a wire harness from other tachs From srx and yes a bit different. For whatever reason where leads go into tach brown goes to light for tach. However where screws go into back of tach for operating tach I assume .Both tachs have a blue lead and brown lead. Only diff. like I said before is on other harness brown went to tach light. On my harness on sled blue goes to tach light. So I took my other large tach that i orignally had in and tried a few things. Set tach on air box and hooked everthing up to harness. nothing. Unplugged the plug to ign switch. hooked gator clip to brown on tach. brown on wire harness and clipped ground on tach to bolt for reverse linkage. NOTHING. Clipped brown on tach to red on wire harness since this comes out of rectifer nothing. Tried blue to red on wire harness ,zip and lights on tach didnt work. other way they did. Only thing I might add is that I tried a voltage test off red wire coming from rectifer upto plug for ign, switch and had like .165 volts. Tried other rectifer that I have and same. With rectifer unplugged had about 4 volts. After all this could it just be a bad spot in this stator I just got??? Everything ohms out as far as source coils go. But everything worked before. Im confused. And since its presidents day Ive started drinking. Maybe have a aphiny and fix this thing lol. Any other ideas out there??????????????????????

make sure no wire are broke on the steering post ..sometime they broke turning the steering left and right

think im gonna take whole harness out and inspect again. Dont know what else to do. But to answer your question yes lights to tach work and taillight and brake light work. Im at a loss that for sure.

what is the problem with the sled??, I dont see anywhere where you state what the problem is, in your first post it just tells me all the stuff you have torn apart to check.

Put a new used stator in my97 sx700. This is second one. Anyway when I got her refired up the tach and gas gauge dont work. All the stuff I have tried is on previous pages here. Just dont know what else to try. Tach and gas gauge worked before. Im also unsure of what kinda of voltage I should be reading on say for example the brown wire going to tach. Or red wire coming from rectifer. I know the post have been long so to simplify my tach and gas gauge dont work

none of the wires out of the cdi box will work a snowmobile is a voltage induced tach meaning it simply reads the pulses from the stator to tell you what the rpm is, not off the cdi box.

now when i reread your first post its says you changed out the tach to the newer large round srx style and that it didnt work at idle sometimes.....ok, only a 98-99 srx tach will work, the 2000-02 use a differnt pulse. So seeing how your gas guage doesnt work and the tach doesnt work and it was stop working its likely its cooked. Do you still have your original tach set up you can try?

then..thinking about it........I went and looked up a 2000 sxr as i know they still have the 175watt single bulb headlight system but use the big round srx guages. The tach is fed by the brown wire from the key switch. Both fed from same wire and likely why yours doesnt work(tach is no good or a capacitor is bad inside) so you need to see whats the voltage on the brown wire coming from the key switch as thats where the tach gets its power from.

So may have just had a brain fart. Was studing the wire diagram and just noticed that ign.coils run in series, which I guess I knew but My sled has a brown wire that plugs into middle coil. This is way it has always been since I got it. Is this correct??? In diagram just runs in series form orange to ground with no brown in there any where. HMMM!!!! Anyone got a sx out there they could checkout and verify

yami1 said:
think im gonna take whole harness out and inspect again. Dont know what else to do. But to answer your question yes lights to tach work and taillight and brake light work. Im at a loss that for sure.

that's mean something Is not working right with the brown wire ...

there is to be no brown wire to the coil, that there is likely why your cooking the stator though!

Gonna take a pic of the spaghetti and see what you guys think. Obviously some one has been in there messing stuff up. That would explain my issues though. Gonna rewire my plugs for tac and speedo to use factory plugs. Just but connected them together last time and dont like

IMG_20130219_213958_zps388d10fd.jpg
Dont know if this shows goo enough. But you can see this dont look factory. Sould the white/red, black and brown all be spliced together like this??? Will get some better pics here in abit

Last edited:
Well after untaping harnes for the third time I have come to the conclusion that I have a FUBAR wiring harness!!! The brown wire I took pic of someone added in there for a ground to coils. Other lead off that(black) is ground for tors.So I guess their goes that theory, Thought we were on to something there. One thing I should have probably mentioned a long time ago is that it looks like reverse was added to the sled. If I look at wiring diagram for the electic start side there is same light brown wire going to backup alarm that goes to tach and fuel gauge. Can I just leave this all unhooked ?? I could really care less if alarm works. Still doesnt really answer why tach and fuel gauge dont work. Another question I have is which wires go into large plug going into cdi and what wires go into small plug?? Looks like this has been tampered with and wonder if right leads go where ther suppposed to. What a damn night mare. Mr. Viper do you have harness for a sx700. Wondering if I should just start over?? Other weird thing is there is a dark brown wirethat runs up to kill switch plug. Three prong plug with this brown wire. a black/white wire and a black/yellow wire. The dark brown wire runs to the junctions of grounds that I took pic of. No such wire in diagram. Only shows black/white and black/yellow. Is this ground wire nessesary???? WHew what a cluster f@ck.

Last edited:
So rewired guages so that i could use factory plugs. Fired up and still no tach. This is on my spare one. Idid a voltage test at the brown wires where they junction and had 4.50 volts. This is just after plug that goes to ign. So tried to run a jumper to back of tach to where the brown wires junction and still nata. Did get gas guage to work though. so maybe this tach is junk. try other one tomorrow. Damn sled got some decent snow tonight to. Shouldnt be bad riding tomorrow.

yami1 said:
So rewired guages so that i could use factory plugs. Fired up and still no tach. This is on my spare one. Idid a voltage test at the brown wires where they junction and had 4.50 volts. This is just after plug that goes to ign. So tried to run a jumper to back of tach to where the brown wires junction and still nata. Did get gas guage to work though. so maybe this tach is junk. try other one tomorrow. Damn sled got some decent snow tonight to. Shouldnt be bad riding tomorrow.

remember the tachs are not all the same, the only one that will work is a 98-99 tach if its from a srx, the 2000-02 srx tachs look the same but are a differnt pulse.
I would compare the part numbers on the tach to see if your comparing the same ones or differnt ones, that may be why the gas guage works but tnot the tach now. g

Tach I rewired is the one I had in last winter which did work.last year. Had a slight run in with stump and had to do some fixing. When I went to my used part guy he sold me a whole srx hood (single light) with gauge pod and gauges. So when I fixed I just put those gauges on my sled since they were already in pod. So both tachs did work. I do have some 01 guages from same guy.Sold me another pod so I could do dual headlight with gauges again, but I took them out cause I didnt want to rewire. I will double check just to see. Im also gonna pull stator back out and inspect wire good to pickup. Have 205 ohms between red/white and green/white which is plenty good but just seems weird everything worked before and now it dont. At this moment about every thing is unplugged except oil tank and fuel sending unit and still nothing. Mr. Viper how many volts should I have at brown wire at plug??? Tried that this afternoon with meter and had like .165v on my digital meter. That sound right???

Well after hours of trouble shooting unpeeling tape and getting aggravated I finally found problem!! Retaped everything put all back together and started up had tach and gas gauge. Sweet dont know what I did but works, So zipped everything down and fire up again . No tach im like WTF!! So I grab the plug that goes to ign switch and wiggle around and tach works!!! img like are you kidding me all that farting around and its just the plug. Cant believe it is something so dumb . What canI say when you guys are right your right Im just gonna get some pin type connectors and put together that way. So hopefully be riding tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help guys

Just want to give another update on my crazy a$$ sx 700. Im back in love with her again. Rode about 200 miles over the course of the weekend and she is purring like a kitten. So hopefully the stator issue was because of the one hand grip that was shorted out. Or the loose brown wire to tach. Any way all good. Only issue was i went threw almost a whole tank of oil in 80 miles the other night. Oil cable was pulled out .OOPss. Oh well she is well lubed.Just so everyone knows these viper grips I put on seem to work just fine. Heat up good and the viper bars are a bit wider so like how they feel. So to those that said they wouldnt work they do. No disrespect to anyone just feel its important that accurate info be given when it can be.

Its not that the viper grips wont "work" its just they do have a differnt resistance then the other ones do, the sx has a 175watt system and the viper is a 300watt system. Therefore, its going to take a differnt amount of electrical current to run them, so possibly in the future you might very well be "pissed again :whine: " from a bad stator if the draw is more then it was before and over taxs the stator.
I dont know for sure if it will or it wont, as I never measured the current or ever checked it but thats what these guys were trying to point out to you in this thread. I didnt see where anyone gave you unaccurate information here.
You can mismatch anything you want, and it may very well work right now, but you wont know how its going to turnout till the longrun......youll be the first to know! :sled1: :sled1: :sled1:

Back