Totally Pissed Off!

ReaperSRX

After speaking with one of our club reps, he is hearing rumours that trail passes in Ontario will be going up this year to $200cnd(early bird) and $230, that's up from $140, now i know this is not confirmed but !@#$%this just killing the sport up here, i could undstand if its to improve trails but its only to give more profits to insurance company shareholders who lost their shirts in the stock market over the last two years............thanks i needed to get that off my chest, happy sledding........ReaperSRX

between the rising trail passes and the cops hiding behind every tree issuing tickets to people exceeding the 50 km speed limit,i'm looking at other places to ride.

not sure about quebec,but i got a ticket last winter doing 70 kmh,in a wide straight trail in ontario,the cops were hiding on the tree line off to the left of the trail.120.00 fine

Last snow meeting I went to there was talk of another $10 increase from last year. Never heard of $50. I hope your wrong!

I just moved from northern Ontario to the Muskoka area and I hope the cops don't go overboard with the speeding enforcement.

Dan

calm down everyone! i work for the hornepayne club in northern ontario, and we just did our first snow show a few weeks ago. we got our pricing for the permits just a few hours before we left for the show. the permit prices are as follows 160.00 cnd prior to dec 1st, 195.00 after dec 1st. weekly (7 day pass) 100.00 cnd 1 day pass 35.00 cnd. these are right from the ofsc not hearsay or rumor. reaper, i'm not sure what province your info was from or for but i do know quebec's seasonal pass is quite expensive. i will have permits for sale here at the house in a few weeks, if you need some let me know asap. ski

$160.00 for one pass isn't to bad, but when you need to buy 4 passes for one family IT SUCKS!!! I don't understand why you can't get a discount for multiple passes for machines that are registered for one family?

Just my thoughts,

Yam

trail permits and speeding tickets

NorthShoreRider said:
Will that include quebec????

50k sucks.

I don't start the thing up till I'm going at least 100k :D

if you dont start it up till 100 why bother stopping , just keep her pinned and f*%k off the beating path after that, like their little rides can kkep up with a ty tuned yamaha,

I can definately see where you're all coming from. However, $160-$195 for a permit still seems a little high for me. I thought it was bad when Michigan's permits took a $10 jump in a year's time. Bottom line seems to be that legislators have figured out that if we can all afford these fancy machines that are now bringing upwards of $10,000 per machine, then we should also be able to afford the cost of a permit. No matter how high the price of it becomes. It has, and will continue to become a rich man's recreational sport. The liability insurance issue also comes into play here as well. I think its a good idea to have it......but I dont think the state or province should be able to pad thier own pockets by REQUIRING you to have it. I would support ANY way to raise revenue for our sport, however, shouldn't they be putting back into it as well? I dont see much in the way of that where I am from. Just more and more tree-huggers bitching about how much the snowmobilers tear up the woods and trails.
I like some States' ideas of requiring you to be a member of a "CLUB"...I would trust a club to re-distribute the moneys raised from the sales of permits and dues much more strongly than allowing our money to be misappropriated by our state and local governments. just my $.02.......

Wreck

that's a pretty strong statement, wreck. obviously you dont know alot about how money is distributed in the ontario system. 80% of the price of your trail permit stays with the snowmobile club who sold it to you. that is why they publicize buy where you ride so vividly. you wouldnt buy your permit from say a lansing club if you rode in hesperia all the time would you? same in ontario, they dont want you buying in the soo when you ride in dubreuilleville, wawa, or hornepayne. the remaining 20% is for the administration of the ontario federation of snowmobile clubs, which gives out grants for projects on a request and need basis throughout ontario's 35000 kms of trails. hope i have help shed light on this misinformation. this is not a flame i am pointing out how and where the money is dispersed in ontario. NOW I AM GOING TO RANT, THIS IS NOT POINTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR SO DONT TAKE IT THAT WAY. the way i look at it, this hobby is expensive, 40000 for a new truck, upwards to 10000 for a sled, upwards to 1000 to equip yourself to ride, upwards of 10000 for a large trailer, and we bitch about 20-120 dollars for trail permits. these trails dont miraculously form themselves it takes hard work, volunteers, and MONEY! if you like destroying your sleds BY RIDING WHEN THERE IS LITTLE MORE THAN FROST ON THE GROUND, and bitching about permit monies, stay in michigan and ride mud all year. if you have time to complain you have time to help. JOIN A CLUB AND HELP MAKE YOUR RIDING AREAS BETTER. ski

rate hikes

we dont have any set riding areas, guess that is a luxury here, mind you we dont have any snow either generally. We travel a Looooooong way to the mountains to ride, and that costs a lot, but I wouldnt pay 200.00 per person to ride a RCMP or OPD speedtrap. Find somewhere else to ride.

Re: trail permits and speeding tickets

kovs said:
NorthShoreRider said:
Will that include quebec????

50k sucks.

I don't start the thing up till I'm going at least 100k :D

if you dont start it up till 100 why bother stopping , just keep her pinned and f*%k off the beating path after that, like their little rides can kkep up with a ty tuned yamaha,

I know you guys are probably just joking but it's not worth running from the police.

The penalty for "escape by flight" on a snowmobile is:
- minimum $5000.00 fine, maximum $25,000.00
- minimum 14 days jail, maximum 6 months
- minimum driver licence suspension 5 years, maximum life.

yeah that dont help me much when im one of the fastest srx
's and rx1 around here they all know were to find me most of the time they waite for me at my house .. so i get my ticket or i get my pee pee slaped...... but i have never got a 5000$ fine

most of them was under 90$ and most of them i beat in court anyways
they cant prove if they dont ctach you in the act ... they only speculate that is was up ..

SrXxTrEeM said:
they cant prove if they dont ctach you in the act ... they only speculate that is was up ..

The police don't have to catch you in the act, they only have to identify the snowmobile. The Ontario MSVA has a section for owner liability. In other words the owner is on the hook unless they can show that someone else had the sled without their permission.

Back