Munising Michigan hype

abumpa

Just got back from 2 days in Munising. Was supposed to spend 4 days but conditions were so bad we left early. Trails around Munising were beat to death and not a groomer in sight.

Hope this will not be the way things are this year. Trail reports we got in advance were speaking of “great conditions on the trails”. The chamber of commerce must have written those reports. Very disappointing!

Thats sucks!! Sorry to hear you had a waisted trip. I hope it turns around up there as I have a trip planned in the middle of January. It is supposed to get warm up there this week just like in lower Mich, but hopefully it only make for a better base. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Its nearly impossible to have good smooth trails during the holiday time, especially with so many areas having marginal to no snow and therefore concentrating the riders in a smaller area.Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time though!

haha, im heading to paradise this weekend. don't care if theres no snow at all. i'm runnin my sled. waited too long.

SWEDE said:
Its nearly impossible to have good smooth trails during the holiday time, especially with so many areas having marginal to no snow and therefore concentrating the riders in a smaller area.Sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time though!

I know several groomer operators that apologized that they did not groom over the holiday weekend, despite more than enough snow to groom.

Did you work on Christmas weekend? Most people don't.

Even if no more snow falls through this weekend, I can guarantee better trails this weekend due to it not being Christmas. Sure, it's still New Years weekend, but that's not the same as Christmas.

Truckkid42 said:
haha, im heading to paradise this weekend. don't care if theres no snow at all. i'm runnin my sled. waited too long.

We heard Paradise was worse from some people that were there and came over to Munising. Just what they said and I have no personal knowledge of conditions there.

my sister and bro in law went to cadillac dec26, said trail's pretty much wiped out, they comming home today, said what was left all turned to slush and snirt yesterday with the warm weather.

If you are the town “fathers” (business people) and you report good conditions so I will come up there and spend my money, I think you should do whatever it takes to make “good conditions”. That includes working on Christmas if needed.

We rode Monday and Tuesday and never saw one, or even heard from other riders anything about groomers. Christmas was Saturday.

Yes as someone mentioned there were a lot of riders up there. All the more reason to put forward your best effort maintaining the trails.

Our big trip is the end of February. Lots of time for conditions to change everywhere. However, due to our experience in Munising we are considering going to Lake Gogebic area instead.

Munising trails are not always the best, they usually do groom alot but rarely drop their drags down enough to actually groom properly. On a side note, It is extremely hard to groom the light lake effect snow, this warm up happening right now could help out the base and make conditions better for the next cold snap. The main reason that we keep going back to Munising area is because of the off-trail opprotunities. You can ride any forest road, hiking trail, biking trail, horseback trail. It is all legal up there and make for a fun day exploring!

abumpa said:
If you are the town “fathers” (business people) and you report good conditions so I will come up there and spend my money, I think you should do whatever it takes to make “good conditions”. That includes working on Christmas if needed.

We rode Monday and Tuesday and never saw one, or even heard from other riders anything about groomers. Christmas was Saturday.

Yes as someone mentioned there were a lot of riders up there. All the more reason to put forward your best effort maintaining the trails.

Our big trip is the end of February. Lots of time for conditions to change everywhere. However, due to our experience in Munising we are considering going to Lake Gogebic area instead.
You'll love the Lake Gogebic area and is one of my favorite areas in the state to ride!

abumpa said:
We heard Paradise was worse from some people that were there and came over to Munising. Just what they said and I have no personal knowledge of conditions there.

thanks for the heads up. but like i said, i don't care if its pure dirt. im riding my sled! :) :)

SWEDE said:
You'll love the Lake Gogebic area and is one of my favorite areas in the state to ride!

Yup, I have been there before and liked it a lot. Some other members of our group like Munising better. I am working on changing their minds, and the poor conditions and false trail reports we experienced in Munising this time should help.

abumpa said:
Yup, I have been there before and liked it a lot. Some other members of our group like Munising better. I am working on changing their minds, and the poor conditions and false trail reports we experienced in Munising this time should help.
I know what your saying and have never rode a smooth trail in the Munising area even in a year with very good snow on a weekday.As soon as we'd get out of there system things would get good again, kinda strange.Some of the consistently best groomed trails year after year that I've found are in the Seney area, they do an amazing job and even at the end of the day when things are getting kinda rough in most areas you can tell a marked difference when you get back on there trails.Not sure if they groom more, have a heavier drag or what, but big difference!

Wow muinising sucks ?? All I know is last year you could of rode a et 250 all day without a sore back !! Was there a total of 11 different days last year and never had a problem ! but then there wasnt anybody there either ! Oh well spend your money where you feel its the best for you ! I remember in 08 paying 3:95 for gas and there was only 3 people at the days inn for the 5 days we were there ! Gas prices well kill that area if it gets to bad ! I sure hope it dosent !

nighttrain9 said:
Wow muinising sucks ?? All I know is last year you could of rode a et 250 all day without a sore back !! Was there a total of 11 different days last year and never had a problem ! but then there wasnt anybody there either ! Oh well spend your money where you feel its the best for you ! I remember in 08 paying 3:95 for gas and there was only 3 people at the days inn for the 5 days we were there ! Gas prices well kill that area if it gets to bad ! I sure hope it dosent !

I never said “Munising sucks” in the definitive. I said they certainly sucked earlier this week for the 2 days we were there. I also said the groomers seemed absent. We never saw one or a groomed trail in 2 days of riding.

I also said trail reports from Munising were exaggerated at best. I will almost say they were out an out fabrications but I hesitate to do that without more expertise in the matter.

My point is that there are consequences for your actions. If Munising is going to be inaccurate with reports, and fail to maintain their system, I will not go there. I will also report my experiences to those who care to listen.

I have had many good days riding around Munising in the past. So far this year that is not the case.

This early in the season is hard to tell what your going to get out there anywhere In Mi . I try to use Johndees web site with the cameras and talk to some locals up there I know before I go . Johndees web site is an awesome tool but That sucks that someone up there said it was great or something ! I know some peeps up there that would love to know who said that . I see your from Jackson and thats a long drive to have a bad trip ! But I will say that from muinising to the keweenaw is the best ! And sometimes they have bad trails from all of this warm weather . But thats sledin !

Back