Munising Michigan hype

I had never heard of Munising, just Mapquested it WOW that is getting "up there"; way up by Marquette; jeez that's a HAUL

Don heres another twist. Wawa is 20 min further than Munising from Jackson mi, and you wonder why I ride in canada. if you want to mapquest a haul, Im going to Togwotee wy on saturday.

haha, just got back. pretty much no snow on the ground. it was 45 degrees when we rode on friday. we were asked by both gas stations up there what the heck we were doing up there when there was no snow on the ground, but we found some.
up1.jpg

wish i had more powder to soften it rolling on top of me.
up3.jpg

Truck kid; that LOOKS painful; Grapeape; I was thru Wyoming about 8 months ago... that is a ways, I drove to Las Vegas and back.

DonB, I've been making that drive since 99. This is anything but a typical yr for them. 1st yr I went they had received 21FEET of snow from Thanksgiving to Jan. 5. Yes, the grooming COULD be better. BUT, the trail and offtrail snow is consistent from yr to yr. It's worth the drive to me LOL!

Grooming is a funny thing and has many variables involved.Sometimes you'll hit it perfect in a area and sometimes not.I've saw a groomed trail trashed immediately by inconsiderate riders.Seems like it would be discouraging for the guy running the groomer!

SWEDE said:
Grooming is a funny thing and has many variables involved.Sometimes you'll hit it perfect in a area and sometimes not.I've saw a groomed trail trashed immediately by inconsiderate riders.Seems like it would be discouraging for the guy running the groomer!
I think they call it "job security"

Been looking around for a better place to get trail reports. Found the Munising Visitors Bureau page. Their current report is from December 26th and it is as inaccurate as the one I was getting. Munising seems to have a problem telling the truth. They are peddling this crap as current conditions.

Here is the link... http://www.msasnow.org/trail_conditions/traildetail.asp?Key=1511

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Munising Trail Report
Munising Visitors Bureau
Updated: 12/26/2010

Base: 12 inches

Snowfall Past 24 hours: 0 inches

Last Grooming: Grooming everyday

Current Trail Conditions: Good to Excellent

Been going up there awhile now also, ( u.p. ) and have given up on even worrying about groomed trails. My sled is set up to take the meanest moguled trails or within a few seconds can make her soft. From what I gather, they do groom, however sledders come from everywhere to ride 'DA UP, so I believe that just as a groomer flattens a trail, sleds are not far behind. It's just a fact of life I've grown to deal with.

I do agree though that if conditions are bad, that is what should be said. I've heard of only few stories of bad things happening to Merchants from customers who drove from very far to find they were lied to. This would be the first time in awhile I have heard of this happening.....

Last edited:
Yamahasrx700 said:

Sorry but those were the guys I used to look at, and are the reason for this thread. They left up a good pre Christmas report for days and never updated it until well after the trails were trashed and complaints rolled in. It took the late week warm up and rain to budge those guys off of GREAT!!!!!

I can only assume they wanted to make sure the hotels filled with the after Christmas crowd. Not to mention the repairs rough trails would exact on some sleds for the only game in town.

TY also uses Munising and a Central meeting point and it USUALLY has copious amounts of snow. Not making excuses for them (I've been there when it sucked, and when it's been smooth) but if your almost the only place with snow then you'll be the place with all the sleds, especially around the holidays.

crewchief47 said:
TY also uses Munising and a Central meeting point and it USUALLY has copious amounts of snow. Not making excuses for them (I've been there when it sucked, and when it's been smooth) but if your almost the only place with snow then you'll be the place with all the sleds, especially around the holidays.

X2!!!

Lots of PPL in Michigan with a ton of money into these crazy expensive new sleds..... who ever has the snow and the hype gets the business!!!

Munising gets the hype...... maybe they have some people who are taking advantage of that......

If people continue to post real conditions compared to the way they're portrayed, eventually places will put more honest and responsable parties in charge of keeping their hype!!!

On the other hand...... if I'm not mistaken, quite a few of the people involved with the trail reports are volunteers who give their time to help all of our experience be better!!!

as always..... just my $.02

thstorms said:
On the other hand...... if I'm not mistaken, quite a few of the people involved with the trail reports are volunteers who give their time to help all of our experience be better!!!
Yes, I agree many folks volunteer their time to help advance fun and responsible snowmobiling. They are to be commended, and certainly not blamed if conditions beyond their control negatively affect the sport. I am not talking about these folks.

I am talking about the business people who intentionally manipulate with false statements, or manipulate by omission, local condition reports in order to advance business.

It is my opinion this occurs in the Munising area.

We have people around Cadillac here do the same thing...If you call a resort or C.O.C. they always tell you trails are awsome... They are in the business of selling rooms...Always keep that in mind...LOL Cadillac area is not worth riding even now in the middle of Jan....

Don B. said:
I had never heard of Munising, just Mapquested it WOW that is getting "up there"; way up by Marquette; jeez that's a HAUL
420 miles and around 7 or 7 1/2 hours depending on Pee breaks and weather conditions! lol..... Well worth the drive for the riding conditions!

I have friends who work at the hotels around here and if mangmt. hears a desk clerk tell a potential customer on the phone that the trails are not worth riding they will be reprimanded if not fired.....No Joke.... Our winter economy is so dependent on sledders and skiers that this is a sad fact of keeping money flow going......

Back