Munising Michigan hype

NewSRX'R said:
I have friends who work at the hotels around here and if mangmt. hears a desk clerk tell a potential customer on the phone that the trails are not worth riding they will be reprimanded if not fired.....No Joke.... Our winter economy is so dependent on sledders and skiers that this is a sad fact of keeping money flow going......
Call the Comfort Inn and tell them you are from TY looking for an honest trail report. They will not steer you wrong! Then you can take advantage of the TY rates that they offer to any member year round!

also, you have to keep in mind that it is tought trying to groom lake effect snow. that snow is an entirely different animal to tame! Reports could say the trails are in top notch shape and withing 3 or 4 hours they are shot again. Best time to ride trails in that area is monday thru thursday, way to much traffic for the groomers to keep up with on the weekends.

I live in the area and have seen this done many times by the hotels and some of the smaller places to stay. It really sucks when you get inaccurate info just to fill the place. Some of these places even charge cancellation fees.
I post conditions from time to time on the john dee site. I have a friend who runs a resort (whitefawn) in Wetmore, Mi Just south of Munising who does the same. I know the week you were complaining about he was telling people not to come. He will even call back when conditions are good.
If you are not interested in taking some ones word on how much snow there is, there are webcams posted on the john dee site. WhiteFawn has one listed.
Be as resourceful as you can. Driving all the way up here can be pricey with the gas alone.

PS Trails bad = hit the seasonal roads and forest

munisean said:
I live in the area and have seen this done many times by the hotels and some of the smaller places to stay. It really sucks when you get inaccurate info just to fill the place. Some of these places even charge cancellation fees.
I post conditions from time to time on the john dee site. I have a friend who runs a resort (whitefawn) in Wetmore, Mi Just south of Munising who does the same. I know the week you were complaining about he was telling people not to come. He will even call back when conditions are good.
If you are not interested in taking some ones word on how much snow there is, there are webcams posted on the john dee site. WhiteFawn has one listed.
Be as resourceful as you can. Driving all the way up here can be pricey with the gas alone.

PS Trails bad = hit the seasonal roads and forest

Small World! We stayed at the White Fawn a couple of years ago. Not the best trail access but great people and a fine facility. I was surprised to discover every morning the nice lady cooked breakfast in the clubhouse just across the drive from our cabin. Good people at the White Fawn!

I have been on the John Dees website but must have missed the White Fawn camera.

Our big trip this year has been decided. I was outvoted (I wanted Gogebic) and we are going back to Munising the end of February. We are staying at a place on 16-mile lake called the snow shoe inn. Looks like it also takes some road riding to get to the trail.

I am going to have to try and find a good map of seasonal roads and 2 tracks so we can get around if the trails are crap again.

Got any suggestions short of hiring a guide?

Groomer

abumpa said:
I never said “Munising sucks” in the definitive. I said they certainly sucked earlier this week for the 2 days we were there. I also said the groomers seemed absent. We never saw one or a groomed trail in 2 days of riding.

I also said trail reports from Munising were exaggerated at best. I will almost say they were out an out fabrications but I hesitate to do that without more expertise in the matter.

My point is that there are consequences for your actions. If Munising is going to be inaccurate with reports, and fail to maintain their system, I will not go there. I will also report my experiences to those who care to listen.

I have had many good days riding around Munising in the past. So far this year that is not the case.

Yeah, and seeing that trail sticker is 35.00, they dam well better be grooming like theres no tomorrow and during holiday weekends groomers should be out in force! I never saw one groomer during mlk weekend during Saturday, on Sunday I think they groomed a VERY specific area and thats bs! Munising trails suck on long weekends, avoid it like the plague. Not all the time but every dog has it day sooner or later. Think IM going to try Canada once or twice in the near future. Spendy but Ive heard groom like its no ones buisness!!

Someone should send a link to this thread to the Munising town fathers or the business people who pull the grooming strings. Seems they still have not gotten the message that folks are not happy with the product they provide.

I am showing this thread to the guys I ride with. I hope it will change their minds where to spend their money.

How about a report from some of you guys that have been in the Munising area lately. The official reports have been glowing. Makes me wonder if they are accurate.

we were there last weekend and the trails were the BEST I have ever seen them, They do get a little rough at the end of the day but that is expected with all of the traffic. Otherwise they were good everywhere we went!

Last edited:
was out today. Trails are pretty much just hard compacted base. Plenty of it but its like running on a river with 2 or 3 inches of snow on it. In town is snirt.

Back