SRX refresh

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Time to give the 98 a thorough going over from stem to stern. Already found a bunch of missing rivets plus a lot of loose ones. Looks like the air riveter will be getting a good workout. But first is a good pressure washing.
cb904cfc05ce7d4359eb3b9ccb98bfd0.jpg
d6fe6465e0b09da1040cea68cc4b985d.jpg

The before pics
90ce5a32fe65d08df51bfe9fd8d2151b.jpg
0205d20c3a2676406eb38b24e6ad342c.jpg

After teardown.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I've got an MBRP that I run but may try to fit the stocker back on,which won't be an easy feat. I have reverse on this sled and there's precious little room with the thicker chaincase which is why I went with a can to start with. But the powers that be in our sled federation here outlawed aftermarket exhausts so that may put the kibosh on me running a can.

Holy moly! You really tore into it eh! When I saw the title I thought you were just replacing rings or something. Lol

Well I've been planning on doing this for a couple of years now and finally I just said this is the year. I found a lot of loose rivets plus a bunch of empty holes where they should be,so I'd say it's time to give the old girl a going over.

Looks like a good project. I was planning on doing this to mine this year but not sure I will have time.

That's been the kicker for me the past couple of years. Even this year it'll be touch and go whether I'll get it done by Christmas. But I've got my 01 to ride til this one is ready and I want to take my time and straighten what ever is bent,weld a couple of cracks I found in the skid brackets and brace them up,there's a few things to sandblast and paint and anything else I find.

I've got an MBRP that I run but may try to fit the stocker back on,which won't be an easy feat. I have reverse on this sled and there's precious little room with the thicker chaincase which is why I went with a can to start with. But the powers that be in our sled federation here outlawed aftermarket exhausts so that may put the kibosh on me running a can.

I was just wondering because I got a good deal on a bender can, not sure if I'm going to use it or not.

The only advantage is that the can will be lighter and with the Bender one you get a really cool growl. The disadvantage is that cans generally cause a loss of peak hp. I know that all the ads say the opposite but there was a member from this site that did a dyno test with an SRX and a few of the more popular cans and the actual numbers don't lie. The only can that didn't lose hp was the Power Inc one,unfortunately they went out of business years ago,but every once in a while there'll be one for sale. They look very similar to a stock muffler in shape and size but are harder to find than hens teeth.

I'm not sure how noticeable it would be,unless you did a back to back test with and without the can on a drag strip to see or feel the difference. I forget the dyno numbers and it's been so many years ago now that the post with the test results has no doubt been deleted,but realistically for a trail sled I think you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. If you really want to make a noticeable change in your sled try some light weight front end parts like the aluminum trailing arms,radius rods and steering arms. I will be pricey but I guess it's a great way to make a heavy sled a bit lighter.

Well I found a supplier here in NB for Stavex rivets and got them ordered, the chassis has a couple of cracks in the aluminum bellypan that need welded. Got a bud that's supposed to do that for me tomorrow after work. Once I get the rivets next week I should be on the rebound. The old air riveter is going to get a workout.

Back