belt slipping?

Maim

Super Moderator
ok boys and ladies i got a belt slippin problem on an et410 1997. was out riding with my brother and a buddy of ours on sat. we had bros viper my sxr and my et. we swapped out between the sxr and the et about 1/2 way through the run. when i was runnin the et on the way back home i noticed a belt squeal that would happen when i pushed the sled above 60kph. it would get louder as you pushed it to 80kph whitch is all it wanted to do at wot. the recently installed tac was holdin bang on at 6500rpm whitch is correct for this sled and engagement is at proper rpm too. primary spring was new beginning of this season and belt was put on at end of last season cause i burnt old one. clutch faces are clean and smooth and all parts in primary looked good when i put new spring in. this sled used to pull 90-110kph consistantly with the clutches set for the dacomax belt i run on it. any thoughts or hints? anyone know the base weight for the primary weights? :o|

You should have a black ring on one of the clutch sheaves that will tell you where it is slipping. How far out on the which sheave will give you an idea what is causing it to slip. How is your secondary spring? At higher speeds (relative to the sled) the primary has a lot of the belt to grip and the secondary has very little. I am betting that your secondary is letting the belt slip. Either the spring is weak, or the sheave face is dirty or oxidized and not gripping the belt.

no black ring and primary was hotter than secondary by lots when i touched it. secondary spring is set to stock spec and is origonal to sled. back shift is good and upshift feels ok too. thanks for the response.

After re-reading your post I am guessing that you should find the black mark at the very inside of the secondary sheaves. You probably can't see this unless you pull the secondary open or take it apart.

ok. last night took both clutches off and cleaned em with scotchbrite pad and brake clean while i had them totally disassembled. there where no black rings on either clutch. all sliders and buttons had wear but still looked in good shape(wear was even and in similar patterns). i reassembled it with a little more twist on the secondary and a new belt. goin to camp with it this weekend to cut wood so i should have time to try it out.

any one have the centre to centre spec for this sled as well as off set?
not in my owners manual and i dont want to go to dealer with it. he had 2 cracks at clutching problem last season and still didnt get it.

Back