New to me toy.

What set up do you plan to run with that? That is a 51/43 as far as I know.

Yes it is. Apparently they are a very mild 51/43 compared to the aftermarket stuff.

As far as clutch set up, both clutches got a full refresh with new rollers, bushings, slides etc.. . Primary weights have 2.8 gram added to every tip.
On the secondary Apex Helix, green spring at 70. Later I'll try 80 for fun.

Last edited:
Just drove my first 35 kms of the season. I'm limited on my areas to test my sled but I found a few trails nearby where I could do some spirited driving. All I can say is Wow! What a difference the new clutch and engine set up made. I ended up setting my secondary spring to 80 with the Apex Helix. The head gasket mod and notches really seemed to help wake up these redheads.
Very happy with the outcome. Accelerats and hooks up way harder then stock. The throttle response is fast and it just freaken pulls !

Great start to the season just need more snow.

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread since you got the sled, very cool to see someone put so much time and effort into these sleds still. Great work man 8)

Thank you for your kind words Yzed608.

Well racked up another 40kms this morning. We got another 5" of snow last night and it was just enough to open up some longer main trails behind my house.
It was frosty -18c ride but I was dying to try my sled in the cold weather.

My 700 Venture ran excellent . The cold weather fix the slightly rich mid range of yesterday's -4c weather. The clutching worked perfect again today. Initial engagement it @ 4000 rpm , and max is @ 8300 to 8500 rpms depending on conditions . Backshifts quickly and consistently. Can't complain with that!

I honestly wouldn't change much more on my sled. For me it's nearly the ideal set up as it stands . My only wish is for it to stay reliable and consistent. If it runs all season like it did today, that all I could wish for.

A recap of work and mods done. (Updated)

-700 redhead triple
-One layer headgasket removed,.
-Stainless reed stopper with notches, and reed stuffers edges clean up. Stock reeds

- Carbs presently run stock jets 145, 143.8, 143.8. Pilot jets 45, and screws set to 1.75 turns.. Needles set to 2nd notch with the two washers under the C clip. (position 2)

-Fully rebuilt skid with two new Kimpex gas shocks
-Cobra track, 136" long, 1.35 paddles
-Plastic skis

-Chaincase fully rebuilt with new seals bearings and chain. Stock 22 / 39 gears.

-Both clutches completely overhauled with fresh guts.
-Primary has 8ch weights 49.5g (added almost 3g to tips from stock). New pink spring
- New secondary green spring set to 80 with a 51-43 Apex helix
Removed starter and it's ring gear.

Attachments

• DSC_3345.jpg
    DSC_3345.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_2063.jpg
    DSC_2063.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think you can run a little leaner on good gas. I run 142,5 and 141,3 s in my 01 MM with hauck headgaskets and reedstopper notch. But that's with premium.

I totally agree, I should run smaller mains. Only run 91octane, so it would most likely be fine. I'm just playing it cautious.

How many sleds do you currently own? You seem to have a bit of a collection.

Last edited:
Achieved another 55km today in warm 0c weather. Droping the carb needles by one washer (position 2.5) did the trick. Smoothed the midrange out. Still runs a bit rich but it's tolerable. I'll leave it there and see what happens. So fare I'm satisfied with it as is. Total mileage for this season 175 kms!

Next I want to dial in the suspension further.

Last edited:
I think 2,5 might be too lean. If you want to make a real difference in performance, get a heelclicker 40-10 set and something like a 46/38 helix, and probably also a secondary spring with a green dot, if you don't have it already.

I think 2,5 might be too lean. If you want to make a real difference in performance, get a heelclicker 40-10 set and something like a 46/38 helix, and probably also a secondary spring with a green dot, if you don't have it already.

I don't think it will be too lean, mater a fact the yamaha dealer that serviced my sled 15 years ago actually lowered the carb needles to position 2 and it survived like that for 14 years and 10 000 kms with only one piston replaced. I ll keep a close eye on it for sure though. I found the chart below helpful. I ride around a 1000 ft elevation with stock jets.

As far as heelclickers, I'm sure they're awsome but I've invested alot of time, and too much money on upgrades for my sled this season already. Like I mention before I'm really happy with its performance as it stands. For now anyways.

That said, thanks for the input, always appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_3355.jpg
    DSC_3355.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Stock main jets are pig rich. If you have good enough fuel to keep it alive with 2,5 position on the needles, you probably can drop the mains too. As mentioned, I have jetted mine to 142,5 and 141,3s and I am at 300 ft or so.

Did another wish list to Santa Royale Distributing!

-New heated grips, with thumb warmer. Includes five power level switch. Can't wait to ride with the added comfort.

-Complete new front end bushing kit. Reasonably priced. Time will tell if it's good or not

-New ski rubber stoppers.
Already had one stopper disintegrat and the other one will soon follow.

Problem is I can't get the ski bolts out. They turn but even with penetrating oil and hard hits with a large rubber mallets or my ball pin hammer on block of wood to the threaded end of the bolts, they aren't moving.
From this schematic a collar (#2) slides in the spindle assembly and the bolts slides threw the ski and collar. I'm fairly confident the collars are seized on the bolts. I'll need to figure that out before my parts arrive in a few days.

Attachments

• DSC_3359.jpg
    DSC_3359.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Vincent,

Can you remove the ski assembly via the spindle? If so, maybe use a press to push the bolt out. Can you cut/grind off the bolt head and threads? Then drill or grind out some of the bolt shaft so it drops out of the spindle.

I bought my son a used dirt bike that needed new swingarm bearings. The bearing were frozen to the swngarm axle. Two days of penetrating oil and a sledge hammer finally got the swingarm axle to move.

Last edited:
Just hit 600kms this season! And finished my first gallon of yamalube. My Venture 700 is running awsome! Can't be more pleased. After alot of trial and error i ended up adjusting my pilot screws to 1 3/4 turns, and droped the carb needles a bit. Moved the "C" clip the 4th notch (leaner) both washers under . Runs perfect in -15c and very well in mild weather. Spark plugs look great. Rebuilding my clutchs was very expensive but we'll worth it. They always run cool and function very well!

Also received my new rubber ski stoppers, heated grip kit, and front end bushing kit. Still need to get all that done.

She's come a long way from her humble beginnings!

Last edited:
I love this sled! Sometimes machines are more then the sum of their parts....

Attachments

• DSC_3385.jpg
    DSC_3385.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_3386.jpg
    DSC_3386.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_3398.jpg
    DSC_3398.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_3384.jpg
    DSC_3384.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_3411.jpg
    DSC_3411.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_3417.jpg
    DSC_3417.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_3408.jpg
    DSC_3408.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_3348.jpg
    DSC_3348.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Gear down or not?

Keep going back and forth on this one.
I'm a light weight rider compared to some. At 6" tall and 150lbs in -10 to -20c weather my sled doesn't seem to know nor care I'm even there! It pulls the stock gears (22/39) with little to no effort. Can't really floor it under 60km/h cause it just spins anyway. Passed that speed WOT it bites and the skis don't touch. In these situations I don't feel it needs lower gears.

But, when the weather warms up to around 0c (32f), and the snow is deep, heavy, sticky, and the sleds feels like it lost 15hp etc.....I start thinking about 21/39 gears.

Thing is I would need a 68 link chain and 21 tooth to gear.But I already bought and installed a brand new 70 link chain base on fellow members warning about my original high mileage one. New Chain and gear is 130$ threw Royal D witch ain't bad but that covers alot of gas and oil. Another consideration is I have reverse, so I can't just pop any 40 tooth bottom gear and utilize my current chain.

By gearing down 5% I'll gain a bit of WOT rpms. How much I'm not sure. In the warm weather I could use the extra rpm cause currently it's a bit low at 8100 to 8200. Adding a shim to the primary spring would fix that. In the cold weather it's 8300 to 8400 witch is perfect. Don't really feel like messing too much more with my clutching.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud. Nice thing is its early in the season and I have plenty of time to consider my options. Maybe a bit more input on the subject will give me clearity.

Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• gearing.jpg
    gearing.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
My 01 MM doesn't feel like it loses that much power. I think your mains are too big.

My 01 MM doesn't feel like it loses that much power. I think your mains are too big.

Yes my main jets are stock and a bit fat, but as Mrviper has stated it takes almost 1000 feet to get on your mains.
That's a longer pull then I've had the space to do.
I was being a bit sarcastic with the 15hp loss comment. It's not that bad. It's the combination of warmer weather, heavier stickier snow ( more drag) and thinner air witch causes the richer mixture, (probably 5hp less) is enough for me to "feel" the difference from -15c to +3c.
Always welcome a different perspective on the subject. These plugs are from cruising at 50km/h

Attachments

• DSC_3436.jpg
    DSC_3436.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Back