AC guy looking to make the jump to Yamaha

If you want to trail ride them and ride them more like a crossover then you can always put a shorter lug track on it. The viper with a 1.375 cobra would be a great crossover, but it will push because of the long skid with no rail tip up. With a shorter track you can add picks but you still want to put in tunnel and exchanger protectors. The stock clearance, at least on a mountain max between the front exchanger and a 2" paddle is a little less than 1/2" and remember the pics have to be longer than the lug. These sleds have a narrow front end 38.9" vs 42" center to center on the spindles. They also gave up a lot of front end travel to have that narrow front end 6.7" travel vs 9.5" for a full width trail sled. In deep snow on flat ground the lug height won't cause you too much stuck, but I wouldn't try and point it uphill and get very far.

The problem with the mtn max is that 141" track length. There is nothing out there that used that length so you can't just pick up something used and drop it in. Yamaha even offers a replacement 1.25" lug track for if you want to trail ride it. Putting in a 144 you can set the skid back 1.5" which is a pain because all the brackets need to be moved, or you could go to an 8" wheel with an offset axle and put the axle in backwards so it moves the wheel to the rear instead of the front to take up that extra difference.

I had all intentions of going with a shorter lug track when I went with a 144 and 8" wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also planned on widening the front end and going with longer shocks to try and get more travel.

My cat is essentially set up the same way, problem with my Cat is that it's too big, too heavy, and only a 136, don't get me wrong 200+ horsepower is nice, but I was hoping for something more nimble, but enough power for my big *** to power through the deep snow. I love playing in fields and off the trails.

The reason I don't do it as much is because of my sled. Which is also limited by its awful fuel economy

Back