SRX 700 rebuid

Yikes! Will it run without that? I was riding it around the yard several times to try to warm it up.

I read it wrong. It will run once it starts but wont idle? Or it just wont idle at the 900 rpms? Maybe plugged pilot jets

It will idle at 2500 RPM after it is warmed up. Get it much lower than that and it wants to die. I had the bowls off of two of the carbs and got scared. Was hoping to find jets that could be removed with a hex and not mess with the settings. Also, the bowl gaskets had yellowing so, did not even remove the third. Cleaned up the rubber ring gaskets best I could and reassembled. Looks like I need to learn how to clean those crazy things. Is there an easy how to on cleaning them? How forgiving are those bowl gaskets?

Bowl gaskets are forgiving. There is a "carb cleaning 101" in the tech section. It's a good write up. Take your time and follow the steps.
Report back when done
Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk

Yep look in the tech section. Its pretty simple to go through the carbs. Once you do it you will say that was easy.

No, not at all, much easier than I expected. The hardest part of the day was installing the pipes after servicing the chain oil. You were right about the pilot jets, out of 9 pilot jets 8 were completely blocked. Nearly all of those needed to be blown out with air to clear them.

By the way, do I need to bleed the coolant on the engine that I rebuilt? It seems to be circulating properly but not 100% sure. Is there a good way to verify this?

Last edited:
No, not at all, much easier than I expected. The hardest part of the day was installing the pipes after servicing the chain oil. You were right about the pilot jets, out of 9 pilot jets 8 were completely blocked. Nearly all of those needed to be blown out with air to clear them.

By the way, do I need to bleed the coolant on the engine that I rebuilt? It seems to be circulating properly but not 100% sure. Is there a good way to verify this?
Bring up to temp feel all the coolers if they are not hot they have air in them. Also first trip bring a 20oz pop bottle full of coolant in case it burbs an air bubble

Bring up to temp feel all the coolers if they are not hot they have air in them. Also first trip bring a 20oz pop bottle full of coolant in case it burbs an air bubble

Ok, sounds good, thanks! Is regular green antifreeze with 50% distilled water ok to use?

regular antifreeze is good but I believe the srx calls for a 70/30 mix(70%antifreeze) and the viper calls for 60/40 if I remember right. In my opinion I would stick to what they call for. The viper doesn't have as good a cooling system as the srx unless you have an opticool head gasket, srx base gasket, and srx rear heat exchanger. The 60/40 would cool a little better than the 70/30. just my opinion

Last edited:
regular antifreeze is good but I believe the srx calls for a 70/30 mix(70%antifreeze) and the viper calls for 60/40 if I remember right. In my opinion I would stick to what they call for. The viper doesn't have as good a cooling system as the srx unless you have an opticool head gasket, srx base gasket, and srx rear heat exchanger. The 60/40 would cool a little better than the 70/30. just my opinion

Great, thanks! Any knowledge about servicing the primary clutch?

Is it a new belt? Might be alignment on engine. Does the center to center measure good on clutches? How much is belt sticking out on secondary?

Back