Dual bulb with remote battery LED system

srxr700

Lifetime VIP Member
I would love feedback on this....Goal is to keep the electrical system stock, but provide better light.

My girlfriend loves the new 01 Vmax 600 Deluxe I bought her. Problem is, she hates riding at night because she says it harder to see. The single bulb on her Vmax is just not going to cut it. If we do ride at night... its usually for an hour or two. Typically a trip back from a restaurant or a day trip where we made a few more stops than normal. I'm not going to upgrade the electrical to the 300w system. It's too much work, too expensive and the sled is too nice to tear apart. I hate modifying electrical systems because it always seams to lead to gremlins. So to keep the sled and keep it stock... here is what I'm proposing..

1) Install dual bulb headlight assembly. Connect the factory single bulb harness to the right halogen bulb. Electrical system still stock.

2) Install a remote sealed 12v/20-25ah battery on the sled. Either in the seat storage or in a set of saddlebags. Mounting TBD.

3) Run a new marine grade electrical feed with inline fuse to the gauge pod. Install a 3 way headlight switch (location TBD) that features off/low/high.

4) Install a 40w LED H4 bulb (wattage TBD) in the left socket and wire it to the 3 way switch. An on demand LED bulb in the left socket. Also, an auxilary light when taking breaks..

A 40w LED H4 should draw about 3 amps per hour..? So a 25ah battery should provide "around" 3 hours of solid run time before the battery should be charged? Basically depleting the battery to 60%ish. This should be plenty of juice to get back home and provide her the light she needs and of course with no factory modifications other than the new dual bulb light.

A trickle charge solar panel mounted to the sled would be another option to ensure battery charge while riding. This is all just crazy thoughts in my head.

That would work but sounds like a ton of work for what your trying to do. I would look into the cre LED lights. You will have to buy a pair so you will have a replacement on hand (Bonus). For a $100 you can get the best set up from roc on the 4 stroke side. They come with a cooling fan and ballest which is all plug and play for the H4's. I ran these in a viper and every bit as bright as HID's. Also put one in a single bulb SX and the difference was huge. Lit up the night way better then stock. Let me dig up his # for ya. Also he has a website "roctoyz" but I don't think he lists them on there. You can find them elsewhere but not near the quality. Well worth a call and it will save you time and money. Should be all she needs

Thanks man. I was going to give him a call and chat about my idea. I bought his yamaheaters and they rock!

My goal here is to keep the sled stock and have close to the equivalent of the lighting that the 300w system puts out. I wont get that with the single bulb and a single LED assembly...I also want the width of the dual bulb reflectors...

Keep in mind. I have had her on every sled imaginable. Even a new Vector with power steering trying to make her happy. This is the first sled she actually fell in love with..so im in the driver seat.

Last edited:
I have rocs kit on my 97 sx. It's worked out really nice. I picked up a newer dual bulb gauge pod/headlight/windshield setup and it's awesome. You can use the 01+ upper wiring-lighting harness or just splice in another female three prong light socket to your existing upper harness. I'm sure just putting the led headlight in the stock single bulb setup would help with brightness but won't be as wide as the dual bulb job.

I have rocs kit on my 97 sx. It's worked out really nice. I picked up a newer dual bulb gauge pod/headlight/windshield setup and it's awesome. You can use the 01+ upper wiring-lighting harness or just splice in another female three prong light socket to your existing upper harness. I'm sure just putting the led headlight in the stock single bulb setup would help with brightness but won't be as wide as the dual bulb job.

So you're running dual LEDs From him off the stock electrical?

Rocks dual LED' s are every bit as bright as HID's. The LED's draw very little juice. I don't see why it wont be the same as 300w system. I would change the rear break light with a LED also to save ya some watts. I run them in my older Vipers.

Would you say it is as bright (er) as a stock 300w system with the dual halogens?

To be honest I haven't ridden a proaction chassis sled with the 300w system to compare. My guess would be brighter. Everyone in my group thinks they are very bright. They love when I ride behind them because I light up the whole trail.

Not sure if this is relevant to this topic or not, but I installed a lightbar on my handlebars today on a 2001 sxr 600 without a battery. I tapped into the h4 headlight socket and soldered a ac to dc converter into the ground and high beam wires. That way I still get the original halogen light with low beam and the LED comes on when I switch to high beam. Even at idle there is almost no flicker and when the rpms rise above 3k it is crisp.
fc03bd2d3fae5a024b29eb2a397b8367.jpg

9ef978f8e8a4c0edaf2ec3fe45ee8595.jpg

2bfa37957da9d2117466de06f53b4c73.jpg

651aaf3e5587001a853c20ca465c97a4.jpg

Did you have this sled for sale not long ago? I feel like I saw it on craigslist. My family has a place in lexington.

Not sure if this is relevant to this topic or not, but I installed a lightbar on my handlebars today on a 2001 sxr 600 without a battery. I tapped into the h4 headlight socket and soldered a ac to dc converter into the ground and high beam wires. That way I still get the original halogen light with low beam and the LED comes on when I switch to high beam. Even at idle there is almost no flicker and when the rpms rise above 3k it is crisp.
fc03bd2d3fae5a024b29eb2a397b8367.jpg

9ef978f8e8a4c0edaf2ec3fe45ee8595.jpg

2bfa37957da9d2117466de06f53b4c73.jpg

651aaf3e5587001a853c20ca465c97a4.jpg

Thats creative..looks sweet. Not sure how the 5.0 is in your neck of the woods...but where we ride they pull people over for any lighting modifications like you've done. They were pulling people over last year for having LEDS under the belly pans and footboards..

Got the new dual bulb assembly installed. Found a NOS OEM windshield on ebay from a guy in Canada. Pretty stoked about that.

Dual Bulb.jpg

Thats creative..looks sweet. Not sure how the 5.0 is in your neck of the woods...but where we ride they pull people over for any lighting modifications like you've done. They were pulling people over last year for having LEDS under the belly pans and footboards..
There is almost no police presence where we ride, we do a lot of field riding and ditch banging. I've never been stopped or even seen anyone stopped around here, so I'm in the clear lol. I just can't wait for the snow and get a chance to use it haha!

Back