Secondary bushings...

snowhite

Hey guys' took off my secondary today for cleaning etc., and noticed that the sliding half really rocks back and forth! Looked in all my clutch servicing books and manuals and cannot find any real info. on the bushing for measuring the wear or anything, just says check for cracks. The bush. in the helix is fairly snug, so does this mean that the sliding half wears faster? Also for setting spring positions the books call for -#3-#3 holes 60 deg. What would I gain by changing the holes to a different position like #1-#6 and 70 deg.?

Through my experience in servicing my clutches,whenever I've put new bushings in the sliding sheave even the new one will still be slightly loose or sloppy.If you really want a good tight bushing get yourself a piece of round stock of oilite bronze and have a machine shop make a bushing on a lathe.You'll have to use green loctite to hold it in but you can get a way tighter fit.You'll have to take the secondary to the machine shop so they can use their calipers to measure the shafts for the best tolerances but I have found that's about the only way to get a truly tight fit.

Back