Clutch setup thoughts? 1 trail 1 lake.

nick5oh

99 SRX 700. I want 2 setups, 1 for lake runs/drag, 1 for twisty turny trails with good on/off throttle performance.

Parts I have:
89A-10 weights, 8DN-10 weights, G-W-G and Y-W-Y primary springs, red secondary springs. Stock helix only. Willing to buy helix/springs/rivets needed.

I was suggested these setups last year but need a refresher on what's what. Sorry guys :(

50/44 helix
8DN-10 with 4.5grams each hole
W-W-W primary spring
Green secondary spring at 60 or 70

Not sure what type of setup this is?
2nd setup suggested is......

48/42 helix
89A-10 with 2.4grams in tip
G-W-G primary spring
Red secondary spring at 60 or 70
Either add rivet weight or swap to lighter stock Y-W-Y spring due to over rev and allow slightly quicker up shift making accel faster

Assuming this is a trail/lake setup.....decent all around....I may be wrong though lol.

Like I said I want 1 setup for the lake/drag, and 1 for trails. Have a buddy with an 06 Mach z doo poo sled that needs a beat down. Can't wait to feed it to him let's hear it boys!

Trail/Lake 00-01 srx 700
48/42 helix, 89a-10 with 2.4g weight in base and .8g weight in tip, stock Y-W-Y primary and stock red secondary springs.

Also saw this setup suggested by Turk. My sled is a 99 though.

One more question I forgot to ask....when people say "loaded 8dn-20's" what do they mean? 4.5g base and 4.5g tip? Enlighten me please....

Yes loaded 8dn-20 is heavier weights in the holes. I currently have 8dn-20 with 5.5 tip and 4.5 base. Not sure but I think your 8dn-10 are a little heavier then the 20's. You would have to put them on a scale to tell base weights for each

your great for you second wish. and 1/2 of your first with the 89a-10. but for ice racing/ drag racing nothing here your show,in will work. 3:16x (yammie tony)

just my opinion i would look into heelclickers or 8bu-00 for drags. And for trails and lake use loaded 20's or 8bu-10s

your great for you second wish. and 1/2 of your first with the 89a-10. but for ice racing/ drag racing nothing here your show,in will work. 3:16x (yammie tony)

so what your saying is either setup will work good and wake the sled up on the trails. but for all out drag/ice runs, i could use the 89A-10's but a different helix and springs would be needed. or best bet would be to go with a proven 8BU-00 setup. am i correct on what your saying?

Last edited:
Heelclickers will work on lake runs too, if you have the right set up. I saw 120+++ on speedo with my set up.

the popular 8dn-20 setup can give ya all you want for your twisty , trail , cornering all out riding. the 89a-10 can get ya lake running 1000 f.t. or more. 660 ice drag or drag racing you will need 8bu-00 or h/c. now this is for a perfect clutch setup for the perfect thing your doing. now 8bu-10 were mentioned, and again these are great for lake racing. i guess my point is lake race and drags take two different setups. 3;16x (yammie tony)

the popular 8dn-20 setup can give ya all you want for your twisty , trail , cornering all out riding. the 89a-10 can get ya lake running 1000 f.t. or more. 660 ice drag or drag racing you will need 8bu-00 or h/c. now this is for a perfect clutch setup for the perfect thing your doing. now 8bu-10 were mentioned, and again these are great for lake racing. i guess my point is lake race and drags take two different setups. 3;16x (yammie tony)
DN-20s or 8CAs??

sorry tony what i meant was lake runs 1000', not drag. the 89A-10 setup i mentioned.....is it good for the lake?
8bu-00......1000' or no good? if so whats a good starting point for parts? i know your the king of those weights lol. thanks tony

use the 89a-10 for 1000 f.t. lake running be fine. my point on drag racing is the 8bu-00 or even h/c will give ya way better e.t. than anything else. i might of jumped the gun on ya. i am gonna go back over your 89a-10 setup. 3:16x (yammie tony)

you can run that setup but its gonna over rev. need more in outer hole and / or more finish on helix. i like the green spring. i run that in all my sleds. 3:16x (yammie tony)

you can run that setup but its gonna over rev. need more in outer hole and / or more finish on helix. i like the green spring. i run that in all my sleds. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Thanks for the help tony.
Below are 3 89A-10 setups I've been told about and or saw in the tech section by Turk. Below the first setup between the stars at the end is what I was told to remedy over rev condition. Also I cannot remember if this is a trail/lake run setup (best of both worlds)? Pretty sure it is.

48/42 helix
G-W-G primary spring
*****Either add rivet weight or swap to lighter stock Y-W-Y spring due to over rev and allow slightly quicker up shift making accel faster*****

Turks setups

Trail/Lake 98-99 srx 700
48/42 helix, 89a-10 with 4.5g weight in base and .8g weight in tip, 2-3 engagement shims, b-w-b primary spring, stock red secondary spring

Trail/Lake 00-01 srx 700
48/42 helix, 89a-10 with 2.4g weight in base and .8g weight in tip, stock Y-W-Y primary and stock red secondary springs.

*****not sure what engagement shims are, what they do, where to get them, or where they are installed so that I would need to find out if using that first setup. It's a lot more weight than the other setups at 5.3 grams which is what you mentioned I would need (more weight)*****

My sled is a 99 not sure if the minimal power difference between all years of SRX's would make that much a difference. But Turks setups are listed by sled years.

You mentioned more grams on the weights, do any of these combos fit your taste? Other thing you mentioned was more finish angle on the helix? By that do you mean higher than the 42 or lower?

Thanks once again tony for all the help.

shims go on backside of cover , each shim will increase engagement about 150 rpm, but don,t use more than 2. they also will change the total force of your primary spring some which will change your peak rpm slightly. turk was a good man and a great tuner. his setups worked pretty good but you will need to fine tune. more finish means higher number which will lower peak rpm. i think you can build a real good setup on what ya have here useing the 89a-10 weights. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Last edited:
shims go on backside of cover , each shim will increase engagement about 150 rpm, but don,t use more than 2. they also will change the total force of your primary spring some which will lower your peak rpm slightly. turk was a good man and a great tuner. his setups worked pretty good but you will need to fine tune. more finish means higher number which will lower peak rpm. i think you can build a real good setup on what ya have here useing the 89a-10 weights. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Definitely will need to fine tune was just wondering what setup I should start with and more importantly which helix to grab.
More finish is higher number but which number? First or second? Thanks again tony!

when you add shims it makes the spring stronger as it compresses it more, that raises rpm, the engagement and the peak rpm will rise.

when you add shims it makes the spring stronger as it compresses it more, that raises rpm, the engagement and the peak rpm will rise.

Mr viper I was waiting for you to tune in lol!
You were the nice helpful guy that mentioned the 89A-10 setup to me last season and gave me lots of help trying to figure out my clutching. Gonna go at it this year for sure and started this thread just to get a refresher.

Need to get a helix ordered and want to make sure I'm set in stone on which one to try out first. The 89A-10 weights I have are 51grams, rivet is in the tip. I have GWG and YWY primary springs, red secondary spring, also have empty 8DN-10 weights. Is 48/42 the way to go for me? I definately want a good 1000' lake sled (snow not ice) and if it's decent and snappy on the trails that's a bonus and is awesome!
Thanks everyone for your time.

48/42 helix (mrviper)
G-W-G primary spring
Either add rivet weight or swap to lighter stock Y-W-Y spring due to over rev and allow slightly quicker up shift making accel faster

50/44 helix (mrviper)
8DN-10 with 4.5grams each hole
W-W-W primary spring
Green secondary spring at 60 or 70

These setups were both given to me by you mr viper and I'm not sure which is which....trail/lake/top speed etc

Back