2002 Viper 700 No Low Beam Head Lights

88thunder

Hi,
Looking for help. I have hi Beam lights but nothing for low... Both Bulbs are good... Is there a fuse or relay and where would it be. I replaced the stater mid season last year.

does the tach jump around or even flash on and off when you go from hi beam to low beam??

No, every thing is normal except no low beam... Dimmer has two wires so i'm amusing it's only function is to turn on hi beams, and low should always be on...
Any thoughts.

I'll check tonight,,, I was thinking the switch supplied power to the Hi Beams and thats working. My thinking was at start up the stater supplied low beam voltage and the switch supplied voltage for both Hi breams. is this not the way it works... I don't have a manual....

I'll check tonight,,, I was thinking the switch supplied power to the Hi Beams and thats working. My thinking was at start up the stater supplied low beam voltage and the switch supplied voltage for both Hi breams. is this not the way it works... I don't have a manual....
My dimmer was messed up at one time and if I remember correctly the high beam is always on and the switch turns it to a low beam.

Ok thx... I'll check continuity on switch and make a jumper wire to bypass switch, as well as check for voltage at switch as someone suggested....

post your findings and will help troubleshoot further if needed, thinking my memory says theres a relay on the dimmer switch on a viper. I will check wiring diagram and report back.

Ok so I do have power at switch. Made a bypass wire and brights come on when sled is running and switch seem to work as it turns brights on.... no low beams... I find two relays on the left side of sled. there not the same so I cant switch them.... my guess one of them are for lights...

I had it backwards. If you unplug the switch you should have dims. When it completes the circuit is when the brights come on. Try just unplugging the switch and see if the dims come on. That should tell you if it is in the switch or not.

Ok so I do have power at switch. Made a bypass wire and brights come on when sled is running and switch seem to work as it turns brights on.... no low beams... I find two relays on the left side of sled. there not the same so I cant switch them.... my guess one of them are for lights...
20161231_104842.jpg20161231_104756.jpg

According to the wiring diagram the switch (27) energizes relay (28) when hi is selected. Relay 28 has normally closed contacts that power low beam as soon as main relay 23 is picked. My guess is relay 28 is defective and the normally closed contact is burned. To verify this place the hi/low switch in low possition. Check for power on the blue white wire of relay 28, you should have power. Now check for power on the green, it should be there but if the normally closed contact is burned on the relay there will be no power. Look at my pics to see which relay it is and the wire colors. By the way most of these relays will come apart if you take your time and contacts can be cleaned with a bit if emery cloth. Let us know how you make out.
20161231_111524.jpg
20161231_111445.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

yep theres the relay, I thought my memory told me there was one. Nice job brethren on the pics, and information.

no problem, youll be able to help me out someday. nice to see you pass along the help to others that's what this site is for, again, nice job!

So when I unplug switch no lights... if I use jumper wire brights come on, or when I plug in and turn brights on they work but hit switch for low beams I have nothing. I ordered a 5dm relay that is in left side of sled. There is two relays there, when I googled them both there was a comment referencing hand warmers for the 8dm so its a hopeful stab in the dark on my part... Dealer said that they have never ordered this part in the past....

WOW thanks guys... I'm new on this sight and just saw page two on my post after my last reply.... so helpful the schematic and relay info.... I think 28 is the one I ordered...
I'll let you know when it comes in... AWESOME!!!

I am experiencing the same issue. I removed the suspect relay and jumped the blue white wire to the yellow, the high beams came on.I then jumped the b/w wire to the green and the low beams came on. I order a new relay because it is the most obvious.

Fixed low beam lights - new relay

Installed new relay today, OEM, everything works now.

Sorry to hijack the post but figured the other guy likely has the same failure.

29 Cdn for the new relay

Back