03 v-max 600 running lean

jr.fmc

Help! Cleaned carbs through the plugs on bottom, took a rip, plugs are white, mixed fuel in tank, adjusted oil pump to rich until it smokes well at idle, took a rip, plugs still white... RPm up over 9000 ?!?
I just bought this machine, and have never owned a yammer, any ideas'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first need to know jetting thats in it and what you have for clutching before anybody can help you

It was owned by an elderly couple, and is in mint shape, it doesn't appear to have been bastardized at all

The thing that seems a bit strange to me is that it is all 3 cylinders... they are all white... I could understand if 1 or maybe 2 were running lean because of dirty carbs, but all 3?

I realize it's not a true clean, however, there was no sign of dirt or varnish in the base plugs... so I didn't go further

Before you go any further.
Check out totallyamaha.com
Under tech pages, then snowmobile, then engine. You will find a "How to clean you carburetor 101 with pix" at the same time you can verify settings.
This will protect engine's longevity and
save you Alot of grief.

Goodluck.

Last edited:
The big plugs on the bottom of the bowl that expose the jets

You have to take the carbs apart to clean them. This will do nothing for your carbs and you have mult problems. First clean carbs here http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmob...Carb Cleaning/Carb cleaning 101 with pics.htm This is for a tripple carb but they are still the same as yours. Second get the premix out of the gas. All that oil is making you run LEAN!!!!!!!!!! The oil takes care of the crank and lubes internals, The gas keeps the piston cool. You have very little gas and way to much oil running hot causing your lean condition along with dirty carbs im sure. Now that 03 should have the new style oil cable if i remember right. Adjust here http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/s...ump+adjustment Start with carbs and move to oil cable ect..... And get that gas out of there.

Ok, so I completely tore down carbs as per above "101 carb cleaning"
I think the main jets said 136.3 or 135.3?
I did find the pilot jets had some blockage, but not varnish, more like black specs? Ethanol fuel??
Anyways, the plugs are a wee bit darker, but still seem light in colour to me,
I'll get rid of the mixed fuel tomorrow ( however this is the first time I've ever heard of too much oil being a bad thing)
The other question I have is max rpm?
When I hit it hard, it turns over 9000, like I'd say 9300. That seems high to me ! Do triples turn that much higher than twins? I'm used to riding a twin

Back