My sled eats speedo gear pins

j5ferry1

I'll try to be brief- 3 yrs ago got the sled; speedo not working... No big deal, replaced pin. Got a few rides out of it... Broke. Next year put 144 setup replaced all drive bearings/ new axle...geared down to 22t and 8t anti ratchets Ect...and new pin, few rides and broken again. Took apart and gear assembly was toast.

So I have a new/used in great shape 03 mountain max speedo gear assembly and it came with a little aluminum spacer( which I did not have before)... Perfect I'm thinking this is my problem because I'm getting too much flex on the pin or something... I Verified everything spins easily by hand, and go to put it back together and the spacer is keeping my speedo gear assembly from sitting flush on the chassis. It's about a 1/4" off the chassis when that spacer is in place.

So so did all the vmaxes have that spacer? Or was it a later year thing? Could my driveshaft be too far over ? We're the later year driveshafts machined for that spacer? Not sure what to do.

You could look it up in the parts listing and see what year it changed. Will the speed gear fit with out the spacer?

Make sure the issue isn't with your speedo or cable going to the speedo. It might need cleaning, lubing or replacing.

Don't overlook the speedo itself. Take the key and put in the back of the speedo and make sure you can easily spin it by hand.

Back