SRX is dead.. opinions for next step

cummins6.7

Hey guys after about 7 or 8 years I decided to get another sled so I picked up a 2000 SRX 700 in mid December. Its a clean beautiful sled. First time out lost mag side cylinder after 100 mile ride. Had a clogged pilot jet in that carburetor. Got it all rebuilt and broken in. Came up to Millinocket Maine for about 215 miles and she died again.. this time it seems like connecting rod on same cylinder broke.. my question is, is it worth fixing? Should I try and find another motor? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I would just find a engine and drop in it bleed oil pump and good to go. plus u will have parts to fix other times if need be.

To me it would be worth fixing. You can find a good used crank or even get yours fixed depending on what it would need. Have you tore into it to see what damage there is to the crank and case? Really it just depends on what you want to spend.

Haven't had a chance, just happened yesterday and I just got home.. hopefully in the next couple days I'll start pulling it apart. Just want to do it the right way and not keep throwing money at it ( outside of maintenance) but rebuilding the motor twice in a month isn't ideal..

in my opinion it just depends on how nice of shape its in and if its a favorite as they only bring about 1500-2000 these days running, so if you were to buy a engine that usually runs about 800-900 complete or piece it together cranks 300-400 and cylinders,125-140 each used, then you still need gaskets and rings,etc.....I don't know it will add up fast, again its all in how much you really like it, sleds 17 yrs old now.

I do love the sled and it's in great shape. I'll just have to start with tearing it down and going from there. Would it be smarter to just buy a complete motor or would it be OK with a rebuilt crank as long as cases and cylinders are still good? My only concern with a motor is not knowing how good it is and having to sink more money into it.

You never know what you're getting with a used engine, might be better off to go through your engine if it isn't too bad.

any srx is worth fixing in my book. unless sled is ready for scrap. take your motor totally apart and figure out what ya need. if everything else is good except the crank, find a good used crank and fix it. 00-01-02 and viper cranks are out there . easy fix to keep a great sled alive. 3;16x (yammie tony)

viper and 00-02 srx used the same cases so the viper crank will work in an srx, the viper crank is lighter than an srx crank.

if the connecting rod broke, the cases will be cracked on the bottom and need either welded if not too bad or replaced if cracked up thru the webs and case bolt mounts. Until you actually remove this engine and take it completely apart, youll not know anything as to what you need to fix it, just speculation. Might just need some parts and you might need basicly a whole engine!

2000-02 srx bottomends all the same, a viper bottomend of any year will also interchange.

if the connecting rod broke, the cases will be cracked on the bottom and need either welded if not too bad or replaced if cracked up thru the webs and case bolt mounts. Until you actually remove this engine and take it completely apart, youll not know anything as to what you need to fix it, just speculation. Might just need some parts and you might need basicly a whole engine!

2000-02 srx bottomends all the same, a viper bottomend of any year will also interchange.
IMG_20141113_111242.jpgIMG_20141113_111303.jpgIMG_20150215_122513.jpgIMG_20150215_122436.jpg

This is what I did with mine. Cost was $20 for the weld (GC Aloy Weld Toronto) and I cleaned up the inside with a 1/2 " belt sandermakita-B0000614UT-1-lg.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Looks good.. hopefully I can get lucky and get out of this "relatively"cheap lol not likely but one can hope.. I would assume a catastrophic failure in the bottom end you would hear it?? There was no abnormal sound when it shut off.

When rolling the clutch forward and back clutch side and center pistons move, mag side does not.

Back