2000 SRX600 triple Step by step carb clean?

Mrcrowley

Hello I am new here to this forum and I have a dilemma This is a sucky situation I have owned my sled from birth I will not go into the reasons seem's all my fault but I need to clean my carbs and sync them but I do not want to pay 500 bucks on a 17 year old sled for carb clean at dealership . SO now I have come to the realization that if i want to continue using my only @3000 mile sled I will need to learn some maintenance. Do not get me wrong either I am able and willing to do this would anyone be willing to point me in the rite direction to do this myself ?
Thanks Mrcrowley

Thanks that will help since my sled is 17 years old should I get a carb rebuild kit instead ? Also do I need to remove carbs or can this be done in machine ? (I would put a white cloth underneath in case anything drops).

They don't make a carb kit for those carbs. The carbs will have to be removed from the sled. is this an sxr or srx? they never made an srx600 in 2000. If it is an srx have you ever cleaned the power valves?

Has the in tank fuel filter ever been replaced? if not, that should be changed also. Would also be a good idea to change your chain case oil and check/adjust chain tension.

They don't make a carb kit for those carbs. The carbs will have to be removed from the sled. is this an sxr or srx? they never made an srx600 in 2000. If it is an srx have you ever cleaned the power valves?

Typo SXR sorry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok after some fight I got the carbs off the sled I am planning on cleaning tomorrow night. Now when I am done doing the cleaning will I have to resync the carbs ? Also I had to undo throttle cable to get carbs out how far down do I tighten the cable to be in spec when I put carbs back in? So there is no carb rebuild kit for this year sled correct? I also want to replace fuel lines to tank and fuel pump where would I get the closest to OEM fuel line as possible this line lasted 17 years just starting to show wear so I want to use same which should last till it is done.

Ok after some fight I got the carbs off the sled I am planning on cleaning tomorrow night. Now when I am done doing the cleaning will I have to resync the carbs ? Also I had to undo throttle cable to get carbs out how far down do I tighten the cable to be in spec when I put carbs back in? So there is no carb rebuild kit for this year sled correct? I also want to replace fuel lines to tank and fuel pump where would I get the closest to OEM fuel line as possible this line lasted 17 years just starting to show wear so I want to use same which should last till it is done.

You shouldn't have to re sync the carbs. There is a certain amount of play you need to have in the throttle cable but I can't remember what it was, I just leave a little slack in the cable by the carbs, if it's too tight it will set the TORS off and the sled will not run right. The closest thing to the OEM fuel line I could find was motion pro brand, 3/16 from pump to carbs, not sure what size you need from pump to tank. Don't use the cheap transparent fuel line. Also check the o-rings that go around the float needle valve, the needle valves should fit snug in the hole, if they feel lose you should replace the o-rings.

My rule of thumb with throttle cable slack is only tight enough to makes slides go all the way when at full throttle. These old sleds need a lot of slack I. Cable not to set off tors. So at full throttle you should not me able to move lever throttle cable is attached to any further up.

I've never seen a carb kit for these carbs. If something is worn replace each part individually. Find a yamaha site, look up your sled, find the diagram for the carbs, it will show all parts and give you part numbers. A lot of guys on here go through port Yamaha for parts.

You really dont need all that stuff, I'm sure most of the parts in your carbs are still in good shape. The only thing you you'll probably need to replace is the needle valve o rings, number 23 in that diagram.

If the ethanol did such damage to orings I figure all rubber should be replaced to be safe and avoid work later called dealer to order correct orings and gaskets . Do not know if I'll get parts before this weekend though story of my life (sigh)

You're over thinking it. Do the needle valve o-rings, the rest can be cleaned and reused. Unless you damage the jets, they can be cleaned over and over again. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner, on the jets, if there is build up let them soak. Some people use little pieces of wire to clean out the jets, but I prefer not to, the wire could possible make the jet holes bigger. Spray the cleaner into the jets then hold them up to a light and look through them to inspect. Use the spray cleaner on all the passages.

Last edited:

Back